Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's official
06-12-2015, 10:55 PM,
RE: It's official
(06-12-2015, 01:39 PM)Shad Wrote: My point was including Japan at all seems silly and unnecessary.
Not necessarily. Nothing happens in a vacuum, and who really knows how one event might effect another. Imagine how different the world would be if Jane McCrea had simply had a nice visit with her friend and went back to camp.

Japan is probably still going to attack Pearl Harbor. "The American's won't fight", remember? Plan Z was based on Hitler's expectation that general war was not going break out until 1943-44. But if that's true, does the American AVG in China get bigger, there for more experienced pilots for later? What about the British? They are no more keen on Japanese adventurism in China the Americans. Lots of stuff can happen. Some of it will get to Asia, some of what happens in Asia could make it to Europe.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-13-2015, 12:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 12:32 AM by Poor Yorek.)
APL has the fictional timeline (or campaign setting for D&D/Pathfinder types) through 1943 here: http://www.avalanchepress.com/Ztime.php

I suppose one has to LOL at: ... but soon receives a fatal dose of nitrous oxide during a routine dental exam.Rolleyes
06-13-2015, 12:27 AM,
In the timeline Roosevelt did not run for a 3rd term, and the current American administration under President Gardner is isolationist, with broad popular support (which was the historical political climate of the majority in the U.S. until Pearl Harbor). There was no pro-Chinese trade embargo with Japan...the U.S. is the major supplier of POL to both Japanese Industry and the Imperial Japanese Navy, as was the case historically until 1940. And with the Nationalist not getting support funneled to them from the U.S., the negotiated peace the Japanese sought was probably obtained.

By the way, don't assume some of the other campaigns mentioned in Matt's post aren't in gestation. I would absolutely love to see CHINA too, and Conquest of Ethiopia is a fine example of a PG product which in which armor plays a minor role.
06-13-2015, 03:04 AM,
By the way, Dr. B. calls Admiral Raeder's dream of Plan Z utterly unrealistic. The intention is not to create a possible alternate history, but an enjoyable alternate storyline for naval and land campaigning.
06-13-2015, 11:26 PM,
The key point for me as a college and self instructed historian is the basis for the proposal is things that could have happened in history, the acceptance of the territory adjustments mentioned above. Roosevelt not running for a 3rd term is also on a good basis as it was unprecedented and greatly debated at the time. There was not that much controversy about the 4th term as it was during the war.

The embargo was talked about but the occupation of Indo-China by the Japanese was the start point of the path that lead to Pearl Harbor. That occupation could only happen the way it happened because of the outcome of the 1940 French campaign.

In spite of what happened in 1939 the IJA was still wanting to go north in 1941 and resisted the diversion of Army units to the IJN's Pacific campaign. With the delay in the war and the embargo not happening I can see the IJA pushing for equipment to take on the Asian parts of the Soviet Union. There is mention of a winter 1940 offensive that stops the Axis in front of Moscow just as in 1941 and just as in history I strongly suspect that offinsive only could happen with transfers of formations from the far east.
11-05-2015, 04:01 AM,
A second SGWAS PG module and the first Long War PG module are now available for pre-order.
11-05-2015, 09:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2015, 09:34 AM by stear.)
There is no '39 Russo-Japanese War in the "Long War" timeline.  The Japanese bide their time, tighten the grip on China, and then "Strike North" in the autumn of '41.  The US continues to sit on the sidelines.

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"
11-06-2015, 02:18 PM,
Do you ever wonder how much Dr. B pays Larry to be his #1 cheerleader?
11-07-2015, 12:05 PM,
I don't get paid in cash or merchandise, but sometimes in recognition in Avalanche products.  The best reward is seeing Avalanche survive and eventually receiving games I ordered long ago.

Publishers appreciate imput, forgiveness, & patience.  Just check out the Marak counters in Critical Hits Nordwind and basic ATS games.