Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's official
06-12-2015, 05:02 AM,
It's official
While there remain sly hints that the PG version of Second Great War at Sea may surface some day, today Dr. B. declared that the PG version of the Long War for Second World War at Sea will see the light of day.

This will give us a sustained alternate history enviornment for PG.
06-12-2015, 07:42 AM,
RE: It's official
That may be a pass for me. I haven't been getting new SWWaS/GWaS for some time, and none of the alternate history stuff, and with thousands of scenarios still unplayed, I don't know if I need to go down this road.
06-12-2015, 08:22 AM,
(06-12-2015, 05:02 AM)larry marak Wrote: Dr. B. declared that the PG version of the Long War for Second World War at Sea will see the light of day. 

This might as well be a foreign language. I don't understand a word. Can you post a link, or go into a bit of detail regarding what exactly this all is?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-12-2015, 08:55 AM,
(06-12-2015, 08:22 AM)Shad Wrote:
(06-12-2015, 05:02 AM)larry marak Wrote: Dr. B. declared that the PG version of the Long War for Second World War at Sea will see the light of day. 

This might as well be a foreign language. I don't understand a word. Can you post a link, or go into a bit of detail regarding what exactly this all is?

From todays alternate history article for the Plan Z book....

The first project in The Long War is Second World War at Sea: Plan Z, our massive supplement for Second World War at Sea: Bismarck. The Long War is a “crossover event,” as they call it in the world of superhero comics, and it will eventually include both Second World War at Sea and Panzer Grenadier items in its lineup.
06-12-2015, 08:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 12:31 AM by larry marak. Edit Reason: got my dates wrong )
World War 2, starting in 43 instead of 39. Poland and Lithuania accepting the territorial and armaments proposals that the Third Reich actually made with the countries. The Russo-German war starting as an expansion of the Winter War with Poland as an Axis ally. Romania and Japan enter as the handwriting appears on the wall. With no campaign in the Balkans and North
Africa a larger Italian expeditionary force joins the Anti-Commintern crusade. July 42 Soviet state negotiates a cease-fire after the capital is moved to Kubichev and Stalin is assassinated by an "overdose" of nitrous oxide during dental surgery. Wallies declare war in response to German conquest of Denmark and Norway (the latter attacked from both German bases on the North Sea coast and Murmansk. The Fall of France 1942 (boxed??) takes place between September and an armistice at the end of October. Britain stands alone.

The Long War background covers a global conflict starting in 43 and ending perhaps in 1951. Plenty of opportunity to for new and different matchups of historical units and weapon types, as well as the completed production of German, British, American and Japanese projected ship projects.

Check out the detailed time-line to the run up to war in June 11th Daily Content.
06-12-2015, 10:29 AM,
The "need" for alternate history timelines in the naval series is relatively obvious.  With only a few hundred battle and operational scenarios the historical engagements in both world wars have been virtually exhausted.  For GWAS and SWWAS fans those ships have to have multiple flags, countries need to switch sides, unbuilt ships need to be put into operation, etc., etc...

For PG, with over 2,000 scenarios and a number of campaigns which remain untouched (Market-Garden, Bagration, Kharkov, Sicily, Balkans/Greece, CHINA, etc., etc.) there is no need to go into fantasy land to find ways to add to the fun.  Certainly the Iron Curtain scenarios are fun and Iron Wolves was a blast BUT, if there is a choice between reality and fantasy I will vote for reality every time.  It is hard to imagine an ahistorical timeline that could match the variation between Conquest of Ethiopia and the large tank battles in Road to Berlin.

Having said that I would probably buy the darn things but only because I own all of the products that have ever been produced already and my OCD will probably kick in.  That is, however, a symptom of a sickness rather than a rational choice Blush
No "minor" country left behind...
06-12-2015, 11:04 AM,
(06-12-2015, 08:57 AM)larry marak Wrote: Romania and Japan enter as the handwriting appears on the wall.

This is a laughably flimsy line of reasoning. There was a little something going on in Asia well before 1939. If the war in europe is delayed one can assume Pearl Harbor is also delayed or never happens, leaving the Japanese with literally no reason to declare on the Soviet Union.

If this is restricted to Europe I think it won't veer too far off the deep end.
06-12-2015, 12:45 PM,
(06-12-2015, 11:04 AM)Shad Wrote: There was a little something going on in Asia well before 1939. If the war in Europe is delayed one can assume Pearl Harbor is also delayed or never happens, leaving the Japanese with literally no reason to declare on the Soviet Union.

I'm not so sure about either of those points forcing the European issue. Firstly the Japanese army was pretty well done messing with the Soviet Union. Even after the Nazi invasion of June 1941, the Japanese still were not into taking them on. Secondly even though Roosevelt & Churchill agreed Germany was the main threat, Roosevelt did not believe, even after Pearl Harbor, that he could get a declaration of war against the European Axis. He had to wait until December 11th for Hitler to declare war on the U.S.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-12-2015, 01:39 PM,
My point was including Japan at all seems silly and unnecessary.
06-12-2015, 01:48 PM,
It's possible one of the goal is to sell a PG game to the SSWAS player base with the hope they like it enough to purchase other PG products. I am sure some PG players will buy it.

I do note the "eventually".

There are already 5 or 6 PG games awaiting development.