Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new idea for overlays?
06-09-2015, 09:44 AM,
A new idea for overlays?
So I was looking at various printing companies for a project Im working on, and discovered that you can have vinyl static window clings printed.  So I contacted the printer to see if I could have say an 8x10 sheet printed on clear material and then kiss cut (the cut just goes through the cling material and not the backing material) the material into a bunch of different pieces that could be peeled off and placed on a  laminated map.  The cool part is, they'd be clear everywhere except where the artwork actually was, and they'd stick to the map whether you had plexi over the map or not...and even umping the plexi would not shift the overlays.

In order to keep it as cheap to manufacture as possible the pieces would all have to be rectangle cuts, rather than more closely following the artwork, which would mean you might need to overlap the clear portions to get the layout you need

Speak up if you think that would be something you'd be interested in.

If I sold a single sheet (which would have somewhere between 25 and 35 overlays of various sizes) at $15, back-of-the-napkin calcs tell me I'd need to be able to sell about 100 of a particular sheet.  That $15 would include shipping to anywhere.  

If there's interest, I'll mock up a sheet to post for some feedback from those that are interested, in terms of quantity of forest vs open vs town vs orchard etc.  Again just roughing out, I came up with 24 1"x1" squares, 4 2"x2" squares, 4 2"x4" rectangles, and 2 1"x4" rectangles.
06-09-2015, 10:35 AM,
RE: A new idea for overlays?
I would definitely be interested.
06-09-2015, 10:56 AM,
If the first version is done well, then selling further editions would be easy. I suggest carefully selecting the first game to make a set for.

The idea of using window cling is excellent.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-09-2015, 12:33 PM,
(06-09-2015, 10:56 AM)Shad Wrote: If the first version is done well, then selling further editions would be easy. I suggest carefully selecting the first game to make a set for.

The idea of using window cling is excellent.

I was thinking of the Elsenborn Ridge style first, as it's been around the longest and has crossover in terms of look, with both Fall of France and Liberation.  I need to look and see the extent of the scenario map changes there might be across those modules.
06-09-2015, 07:39 PM,
YES YES YES YES,,,, enough? no YES YES YES

Mike used to be against them but if he changed his mind so much the better

Would you think to fix past scenarios which required overlays or it would be a feature of new games?

Ottaivo
06-10-2015, 12:22 AM,
Great idea. Might also be a way to do the shorelines for the Williams GWAS variant tactical maps :-)
06-10-2015, 12:41 AM,
This would most likely be just me making them, rather than AVP, and would probably be run through Kickstarter.  

The idea would be to make a page of semi-universal terrain pieces that could be used across modules.  Semi-universal in that there are stylistic changes between say North Africa and Europe.   If there's enough interest I'll do the other styles as well.  I don't the market may be large enough to support custom overlays for each module, but I wouldn't swear by it--running it through a Kickstarter will give a clearer indication of the support for overlays and whether more custom overlay might be feasible.

I'll mock up something to actually look at by next week so it won't seem so theoretical.
06-10-2015, 03:21 AM,
$15? I'm in!!!

Smile
06-10-2015, 04:41 AM,
Guy told me they would cost about tree-fiddy. Then I looked over and noticed it wasn't Guy at all, it was the Loch Ness Monster.

However, I'd easily pay $15 for this.