Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pusan Perimeter Scenario 5
05-30-2015, 03:20 AM,
Pusan Perimeter Scenario 5
I noticed that the intro and conclusion on PG-HQ are nothing like what's in the scenario book.  Is this common?
05-30-2015, 03:58 AM,
RE: Pusan Perimeter Scenario 5
Another question on this. Do the bridge half-hexes (0701 and 0715(?)) on both boards count for victory? They don't seem to really be in play.
05-30-2015, 08:23 AM,
This is the first time I have seen this. In order to avoid typing fingers down to the bone when entering scenario text I tend to use the scenario previews from the AP website through copy and paste. In this case the website text is both more colorful and evocative than the scenario text but they are vastly different. Spot checking the Army at Dawn and Conquest of Ethiopia text entries indicated that this situation is singular rather than widespread.

As to the bridge half hexes I will defer to Jay or John Stafford who worked on the project.
No "minor" country left behind...
05-31-2015, 03:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2015, 03:11 AM by JayTownsend.)
Scenario Five

The Korangp’ o-ri Position
26th June 1950

Capt. Joseph R. Darrigo was the only American officer on the 38th Parallel the morning of June 25th an advisor to the ROK 12th Regiment on the edge of Kaesong, just below Songak-san. At daybreak he awoke to the sound of artillery fire, as he jumped in his jeep as small arms fire fell near his jeep and what he saw was a startling sight about a half mile away, at the railroad station which was in plain view, North Korean soldiers were unloading from fifteen train cars and some soldiers were already advancing toward the center of town. The 13th and 15th Regiment of the North Korean 6th Division delivered the attack on Kaesong.

Most of the ROK 12th Regiment troops at Kaesong were killed or captured, only two companies escaped to report Kaesong capture.

Colonel Rockwell, another American advisor meet with the young Colonel Paik of the ROK who was a brilliant South Korean officer who would one day be the first South Korean Four Star General. He would get his first star within a month. Both men decided it would be best to move the 11th Regiment to assist the 13th Regiment immediately to Musan-ni-Korango’o-ri areas. After making a reconnaissance of the situation at Munsan-ni, Rockwell and Paik agreed they would blow the bridge over the Imjin River after the 12th Regiment had withdrawn across it. The explosives the engineer unit set in place failed to detonate as the North Korean 1st Division and supporting tanks of the 105th Armored Brigade approached.

Conclusion
The failure to destroy the bridge across Imjin River, lead to some bitter fighting!
The ROK soldiers of 13th Regiment engaged in suicide tactics, hurling themselves and high explosives under the tanks. Other approached the tanks with satchel or pole charges and still other tried to open tank hatches and throw grenades inside. These volunteers destroyed a few tanks this way but most were killed. The smaller 2.36 bazookas and 37mm anti-tank guns were ineffective. In a Month the Americans would fly in some 3.5 Super Bazooka’s which would have more stopping power. Also the Soviet model 122mm and 76mm artillery could out range the South Korean 105mm M2 short barrel American hand me downs but still ROK units fought hard in this area and ROK 1st Division was one of the best, held up the enemy for over 3 days in the Korangp’ o-ri position and then withdrew to the Han River, to avoid being cut off by enemy divisions in the Uijongbu Corridor and even though American Fighter Planes kept mistakenly strafing them. The ROK 1st was buying time for both the Korean Army and the American reinforcements to arrive in Korean.

(05-30-2015, 03:58 AM)J6A Wrote: Another question on this.  Do the bridge half-hexes (0701 and 0715(?)) on both boards count for victory?  They don't seem to really be in play.

Funny you should mention this. I was surprised by the bridges at the far end of the maps as well after the game was produced.

For this scenario I would only use the bridges on hexes: Map 93, 0706, 0606, 0507, 0508, Map 95, 0606.

But for other scenario treat the half Bridge hexes as whole bridge hexes if it makes play easier. The numbered one that is, where is goes into unnumbered hexes.

Also, here is the original Introduction and Conclusion for scenario #5: