Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethiopia maps
06-03-2015, 12:11 AM,
RE: Ethiopia maps
I've played the first two scenarios.

The terrain modifications in the first scenario are slight in my opinion and did not require putting any markers to denote special terrain except for an entrenchment marker for the Daro Taclè fort. It's a simple, quick playing scenario which shows the difficult of attacking with a high troops to officer ration.

The terrain modifications in the second scenario are more substantial, at least near the Ethiopian encampment but not so much so near the Italian fort (and the fort instructions could have been moved to the Italian setup section as it is just placing entrenchment counters). The main battle, an horde of Ethiopian rushing towards the fort, will occur in unmodified terrain (except for the entrenchments). The smaller battle (if there is one) will likely just involve two Italian units (a car and tank) trying to control an hex of the Ethiopian encampment. The terrain modification DO affect the possible approaches the Italian can make but were really in play for just a few turns in my case.
06-03-2015, 12:42 AM,
RE: Ethiopia maps
I think what we are reacting to is partly a failure of development to reshape the scenarios to fit the maps (and here I for one would rather play on terrain as accurate as possible, so I don't mind) and partly an uncomfortable return to the use of terrain modifiers such as was prevalent in Afrika Korps and Desert Rats.

I'm very happy with Otto's magnum opus.