Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somewhat disappointed...
04-24-2015, 07:51 AM,
RE: Somewhat disappointed...
The manpower at AVP is equal to 1 full time and a couple part time employees. I suspect Mike finds it easier less time consuming to monitor CSW each day, than wade through his mike@ and customerservice@ accounts. This cottage business is small enough it can't be compared to any corporate entity.
04-24-2015, 12:11 PM,
(04-24-2015, 07:51 AM)larry marak Wrote: The manpower at AVP is equal to 1 full time and a couple part time employees. I suspect Mike finds it easier less time consuming to monitor CSW each day, than wade through his mike@ and customerservice@ accounts. This cottage business is small enough it can't be compared to any corporate entity.

I'm sorry Larry, but that's a ridiculous excuse. I don't expect AVP to have a staff standing by waiting for my call, but if they're going to do business and provide email contact addresses than they need to monitor and respond to those emails.
04-24-2015, 12:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2015, 12:18 PM by rerathbun.)
I'll second what Larry said. Dr. Mike made a conscious decision a few years back to put his efforts into making the games rather than doing a lot of customer service.

Do I wish it were otherwise? Yes. I think that having at least one part-time person answering customer calls/questions/complaints for a few hours on weekday afternoons would do a lot for customer relations and be a good thing for the company. Maybe once all of the ancient preorders are out the door and the new money coming in isn't required to produce old games (and the customer base is [somewhat] less dissatisfied) he will try customer service again. Until then, I'll post on Consimworld if I need an answer to a problem.

That said, I'm willing to give him a lot of slack, since a reasonable man would have folded the company in 2008 (or before). I'm willing to put up with bad service to keep getting Panzer Grenadier (and the War at Sea games). I also understand and respect that others have made (or will make) a different assessment of what works for them.
04-25-2015, 10:46 AM,
(04-24-2015, 12:11 PM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote: but if they're going to do business and provide email contact addresses than they need to monitor and respond to those emails.

Since 2011 there is no "they". It's Mike, Mike and Mike, plus volunteers doing design, development and assembly and shipping. The customerservice e-mail address and the old phone # are swamped... Mike does what get can to get through them daily, but many go unanswered.

If you are having a major problem reaching Mike for a replacement part or such, let me know and I will try (as one of a few volunteers) to get his attention and get it resolved.

Sorry, but I am saddened that there is a perception that there is a vast paid "they" at APL that is cruelly and intentionally ignoring customers. When Mike has fully recovered from the 2008-2010 APL collapse (as opposed to just walking away and leaving the old APL pre-orders to bankruptcy), I have faith he will add the staff that will help with QC and CS as needed by a healthy enterprise, to get these queries answered in a timely fashion.

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"
04-25-2015, 12:42 PM,
(04-25-2015, 10:46 AM)stear Wrote:
(04-24-2015, 12:11 PM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote: but if they're going to do business and provide email contact addresses than they need to monitor and respond to those emails.

Since 2011 there is no "they". It's Mike, Mike and Mike, plus volunteers doing design, development and assembly and shipping. The customerservice e-mail address and the old phone # are swamped... Mike does what get can to get through them daily, but many go unanswered.

If you are having a major problem reaching Mike for a replacement part or such, let me know and I will try (as one of a few volunteers) to get his attention and get it resolved.

Sorry, but I am saddened that there is a perception that there is a vast paid "they" at APL that is cruelly and intentionally ignoring customers. When Mike has fully recovered from the 2008-2010 APL collapse (as opposed to just walking away and leaving the old APL pre-orders to bankruptcy), I have faith he will add the staff that will help with QC and CS as needed by a healthy enterprise, to get these queries answered in a timely fashion.

-Jim

here! here!
04-28-2015, 08:09 AM,
What is astonishing here is that most of the effort to keep the revival of AVP going is coming from people who just want to be able to receive and play a new game in their favorite game series (s). Its well known that virtually no designer gets paid what their hours our worth, but at AVP the payment is close to a smile and a thank-you.

Likewise just about every gold-clubber is a cargo-cultist. We keep sending money because we have faith in Mike and because we want to see more new product whenever possible. Most of us don't buy what is (we have it already), we are buying what will be.
04-30-2015, 12:27 AM,
Well, I went ahead and contacted Dr. B via the customer support email, so now I'll wait for his response. I'll give it a week or so before trying him via CSW (which still kind of irks me).

Understand that at no point was I trying to start a fight here. I wasn't challenging him personally, I just tend to have high expectations as a Service Manager myself. I also own a miniatures business where I am the sole proprietor, so I fully understand the challenges of being a 'one-man show'. I have no personal issue with Dr. B (for those who came to his defense); I'm sure he's a great guy. I just don't accept the excuse of non-response due to being a one-man show.

I'm so disappointed that I just dropped another couple of c notes on the spring sale...Wink
04-30-2015, 02:24 AM,
I'll echo what others have said. I personally found emails were not responded to but my posts on CSW were responded to within a day.

rv