Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isolation and single hex towns
04-21-2015, 03:25 AM,
Isolation and single hex towns
I'm playing a PG: M game using the optional Unit Isolation rules from the AP website that Alan Sawyer wrote back in 2013. There is a rule about towns that states:

X.3 Isolation does not occur with units in towns or woods, unless friendly units have 50% control of the woods or town hexes. All other terrain has no effect on isolation, including units in entrenchments and dug in.

However, what about 1 hex towns and woods? I would think that a unit in a such a town that is surrounded would be isolated but a strict reading of the rule would be that the enemy does not have 50% of the town/woods. I recommend the rule be changed to read:

X.3 Isolation does not occur with units in towns or woods, unless friendly units have 50% control of the woods or town hexes. All other terrain has no effect on isolation, including units in entrenchments and dug in. This rule does not apply to lone, single hex towns or woods.

What do you think?
04-21-2015, 06:23 AM,
RE: Isolation and single hex towns
Can you post a link to the Isolation rule?

I have a hard time understanding what Isolation means without the whole context.
04-21-2015, 06:26 AM,
Sure:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/pg_isolation.php
04-21-2015, 06:57 AM,
I think your suggested change is fine if you're talking about Local Isolation.

Note that after reading X.1 I am uncertain whether a stack of two or more units can be locally isolated.

The attacker must generally take some risk to locally isolate a defender so I think it's a reasonable optional rule that could be fun to try.

I doubt I would use the Strategically Isolated rule except maybe in a scenario large enough that each side have enough units to keep its frontage the width of the board or nearly so. That one does not feel balance to me but maybe I am missing the point. Hopefully Alan will chide in and explain the rule in more details.
04-21-2015, 07:22 AM,
(04-21-2015, 06:57 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I think your suggested change is fine if you're talking about Local Isolation.

Yes, I was talking about "local" Isolation.

Quote:Note that after reading X.1 I am uncertain whether a stack of two or more units can be locally isolated.

I think they can, they (either one unit or a stack) cannot be adjacent to another enemy unit.

Thanks much for your thoughts on this.

I'm trying this rule out for the first time today. I like the notion as it gives some incentive to try to maneuver around a unit.