Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Series: Imperial Grenadier
04-02-2015, 12:49 AM,
New Series: Imperial Grenadier
Holy Crap! Mike B. has gone totally bonkers with this new game/series. 200-ton Landships with 200 mm guns (two of them!). That move at speed 6, no less!

Of course, they only have "4" armor so they are probably meat for the T-34 equivalents, unless theres a special rule that you need two hits to kill it or something.

I literally yesterday just dropped a Benjamin at APL for some Secret Treasures. Not sure the wallet can take another instant hit like this. Must resist...
04-02-2015, 01:23 AM,
RE: New Series: Imperial Grenadier
It's not the first time I think AVP's timing is just bizarre. They run a limited time promotion and then release something unexpected in the middle of it..

I did not order the game last time as I did not want to place a new order a week after I ordered something else (and pay shipping for a new package). Same thing again and while I am interested in the new series, I will wait until there is a second item I want before I order it.
04-02-2015, 01:46 AM,
Ummm, today's date have anything to do with this? Smile
04-02-2015, 01:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2015, 02:02 AM by patman.)
Oh, but I wanted this so badly...

Yeah, 10 maps and ~5 counter sheets for $100 should have been the real giveaway. The other stuff I wouldn't put past Mike, Jim and company Tongue
04-02-2015, 02:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2015, 04:29 AM by plloyd1010.)
Click on the link and find out!

Don't forget to order your spaghetti tree!
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-02-2015, 04:08 AM,
(04-02-2015, 01:51 AM)patman Wrote: Oh, but I wanted this so badly...

Yeah, 10 maps and ~5 counter sheets for $100 should have been the real giveaway. The other stuff I wouldn't put past Mike, Jim and company Tongue

What did you get? Division sets, games, both?
04-02-2015, 05:01 AM,
Oh, re: the Secret Treasures? I got Power of the East, Nihon Silk, and Grossdeutschland '46. All sets having both scenarios and counters. I almost didn't get the latter because I figured there'd be a lot of thematic overlap with Secret Weapons, but in the end I convinced myself that there were enough new toys in GD '46 to justify it.

Will probably try Power of the East first, though. Soviet-Japanese tank battles are just too far out there for me to let pass.
04-02-2015, 05:11 AM,
Damn, it is April 1st!

So caught in the seriousness of some end of year ETL jobs failing that I did not see the humor!
04-02-2015, 05:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2015, 05:31 AM by patman.)
(04-02-2015, 05:11 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Damn, it is April 1st!

So caught in the seriousness of some end of year ETL jobs failing that I did not see the humor!

In some sense, I'm sort of glad I can still be credulous enough to fall for this sort of thing, even though I know it's April First and even though I'm pointing out how crazy it is while I'm ogling it. Means I'm not jaded!

And really, is an alternate-timeline (not merely alt-hist) Panzer Grenadier setting so farfetched given the products they're putting out in the naval lines? I think you'd have to dial ratings for tanks and stuff down rather than up, though, given the lower elapsed time at war in the particular timeline they're talking about. And that might not be too exciting for the hardcore tread heads.
04-02-2015, 05:33 AM,
(04-02-2015, 05:01 AM)patman Wrote: Oh, re: the Secret Treasures? I got Power of the East, Nihon Silk, and Grossdeutschland '46. All sets having both scenarios and counters. I almost didn't get the latter because I figured there'd be a lot of thematic overlap with Secret Weapons, but in the end I convinced myself that there were enough new toys in GD '46 to justify it.

Will probably try Power of the East first, though. Soviet-Japanese tank battles are just too far out there for me to let pass.

I have the old downloadable GD'46 set. I couldn't bring myself to re-purchase it just for the sake of laser cut counters, although they are beautiful. I have the Panzer Lehr set in laser cut format... really striking!!!

I'm really struggling with the other purchases. I want Nihon Silk, and Power of the East and Waltzing Matilda, but if I get those, then I can't get An Army at Dawn and Saipan/Marianas. It's one of those trade offs that is just really killing me!!! Then there are the divisional downloads as well.... Man I wish they were still available in plain old pdf format!!!! I rather enjoy making my own counters....