Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold Club Membership
03-30-2015, 04:54 AM,
Gold Club Membership
OK, I went ahead and purchased a GC membership. What now? I'm still waiting for my instructional email. I received the email receipt and another email telling me to standby for further instructions and a link. Is that all? Is there a GC section here in the PG-HQ that I would have access to now? Please fill in the blanks.

Thank you,

~Lou
03-30-2015, 08:01 AM,
RE: Gold Club Membership
You should receive it in a couple of days. The office is only open Mon - Fri, and I think it is sent manually, so it won't come before Monday. If you haven't heard by the end of the week, you can email Mike(at)Avalanchepress.com

If all else fails, ping Mike on the Avalanche Press Company Support Forum at Consimworld. Give your name, of course, but no order numbers or other identifiers. AvPress monitors it and usually answers in a day or two.
03-30-2015, 09:00 AM,
A couple of notes on using the Gold Club in the store. It all works via coupons. You'll get a coupon code in the email from Avalanche Press. On the right side of the checkout page under the total price, you'll see a small box in which to enter your coupon code. Once the coupon is accepted, the bottom line price will change and you'll see a note beside the coupon box (which will again be empty). You can then enter a second code if you have one (sometimes you'll have two codes on the same order).

Very important - if the price doesn't change, the coupon was not accepted and you should check for errors and try again. If it still doesn't work, contact the company. They can correct errors after the fact, but it's a lot of trouble for them and for you. It's best to make sure the coupon's been accepted before you submit the order.
03-30-2015, 09:01 AM,
There is not a special section either here (PG-HQ is not affiliated with AP) or on the AP site. You'll get an email that gives details on how things work. Mostly you'll have access to codes that give you discounts when you buy things. You'll also get special GC member emails that come out around once a month or so that give extra information or access to special deals/downloads. Finally you'll be able to order the Golden Journals with links from the emails. These are special little add-ons for games usually including some counters and a few battles.
03-30-2015, 09:21 AM,
Hi guys,

thank you for the responses, it cleared up some unknowns. I received the email and instructions on downloads and such a little while ago. I read through the newsletter, which was also very informative (explains the whole coupon code thing) for which I was very thankful. I'm a little disappointed with the divisional sets though. I was hoping to be able to have access to the printed counters (vice the laser cut variety). While the laser cut counters are indeed quite handsome (I have the Panzer Lehr set) I just can't bear to spend the money for all the sets I want.

I read (maybe it was an archived version) on the AP website where it offered the divisional sets in regular printed counter sets for $7 or so each. Unfortunately, the newsletter says that they will not be available on this release. I wish I knew that going in. I'd be thrilled with even a pdf of the division sets and I'll make my own counters.
If anyone is contemplating a purchase of the laser cut sets, and wants to sell me their die cut sets, let me know!!!

Well, time to do some more navigating of the newsletter and website. Thanks again to all who responded with guidance!!!

~Lou
03-31-2015, 12:57 AM,
The divisional sets were never printed years ago, they were sold as digital downloards.
03-31-2015, 01:10 AM,
(03-31-2015, 12:57 AM)larry marak Wrote: The divisional sets were never printed years ago, they were sold as digital downloards.

Yes, I see that now. I found the thread in the newsletter archive entitled 'Downloads End'. Very heartbroken over that as I really wanted those sets!!!

Also very upset that I can no longer get even a download copy of Waltzing Matilda and Nihon Silk, among others. I've been scouting eBay and BGG to no avail....

Angry
03-31-2015, 03:26 AM,
Waltzing has only been available from the this special and the early offering last November. Nihon Silk was available in print, as well as a download, and is currently available by special offer.

Matilda was a holy grail for me. Like Jay Townsend, I hungered for more Pacific theatre titles. Guadalcanal was released as the first of the Semper Fi series of games, but the Hong Kong and Malayan titles didn't make the feedback cut, and the IJA was orphaned for years. Jay made a do it yourself copy of Matilda and wore out his fingers in the process.

Keep in mind that if you end up buying Matilda during the order period, you'll need maps from Afrika Korps and Desert Rats.
03-31-2015, 05:06 AM,
(03-31-2015, 03:26 AM)larry marak Wrote: Waltzing has only been available from the this special and the early offering last November. Nihon Silk was available in print, as well as a download, and is currently available by special offer.

Matilda was a holy grail for me. Like Jay Townsend, I hungered for more Pacific theatre titles. Guadalcanal was released as the first of the Semper Fi series of games, but the Hong Kong and Malayan titles didn't make the feedback cut, and the IJA was orphaned for years. Jay made a do it yourself copy of Matilda and wore out his fingers in the process.

Keep in mind that if you end up buying Matilda during the order period, you'll need maps from Afrika Korps and Desert Rats.

Yep, got them. I've got a pretty large collection. I was hoping to fill in the gaps in the older stuff before jumping in to the new, but the cost for the laser cut stuff is steep. I've been pretty successful in patching the holes in my collection via secondary markets. I know that doesn't help Dr. B, but I don't really need my counters to be laser cut. I'm perfectly happy with the die cut stuff. I'm even pretty good at making my own which is really what attracted me to the divisional downloads. Unfortunately, they are unavailable now unless I want to spend a small fortune for them. Having said that, I'd rather spend a small fortune on the new games than on the 'new' (old) counter sets. Conquest of Ethiopia is really causing my wallet some angst!!!

I'm still very keen on picking up some of the older modules that I'm missing such as Matilda, Nihon Silk, Fall of Luxembourg, Power of the East, To Hell with Spain, etc. as well as the old downloads if anyone has them and is looking to part with them.