Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone playing using the new scout observation rules yet?
03-13-2015, 05:29 AM,
Anyone playing using the new scout observation rules yet?
In fourth edition PG recon and scout units are more valueable assets, as I noticed in playing a game of Blue Division the other night. Wonder if this is a balance changer for some of the thoroughly played scenarios.
03-13-2015, 06:07 AM,
RE: Anyone playing using the new scout observation rules yet?
Larry, Not sure if they will make a big difference except in more infantry oriented scenarios. They do, however, favor a side that has both recon and plentiful artillery.
No "minor" country left behind...
03-13-2015, 08:11 AM,
Recce units come with new benefits - inherent leader, can spot at 1 extra hex distance, can place 1 Spotted marker a turn - and thus you could say they definitely shift the balance of the existing scenarios which include such units on one side only.

As its inherent leader has the same capabilities and limitations as a tank leader (6.85), the recce unit cannot call in OBA on the hexes that it spots unless the hex is also spotted by a regular leader. That's where the placing of 1 Spotted marker per turn is very useful. You can place a Spotted marker on an enemy in town from 4 hexes away (hopefully out of range from the defender) and bombard it if there is any leader within normal spotting distance with LoS to the hex.

It's cool but by no means in game changer in my opinion as I don't recall any scenarios with multiple recce units and lots of OBA. Just a bit a chrome which gives a little edge to the side having such units.
11-16-2015, 08:56 AM,
What classifies an AFV as recon? For instance, I'm playing First Axis scenario 4 and the Slovaks have an armored car. Is it a recon unit just by the virtue of being an armored car, or would it have to be designated somewhere?
11-16-2015, 09:29 AM,
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure on that either. I'm playing a game where the Russians have some Cav units and AC's with them. I figured they would count for Recon. I can attest that they kind of suck when combined with a lot of Soviet OBA. Smile
11-16-2015, 01:24 PM,
My understanding of the Reconnaissance definition under 1.2 is all armored cars are recce units. As Cavalry is not mentioned in the definition, the only foot units I would assume they are not recce units.
11-16-2015, 11:56 PM,
Sorry, i meant the AC units with the Cav troops, not the Cav troops themselves.
11-17-2015, 05:29 AM,
(11-16-2015, 11:56 PM)richvalle Wrote: Sorry, i meant the AC units with the Cav troops, not the Cav troops themselves.

I posted a rule question for recce units some weeks ago.  I got only one response.  Sure enough, Rich and I had the same questions.

When can recce use their special spotting?  I told Rich any time during their activation.  Rich said any time.  It would be nice to hear from others.
11-17-2015, 09:08 AM,
(11-17-2015, 05:29 AM)t1M0t8yk Wrote:
(11-16-2015, 11:56 PM)richvalle Wrote: Sorry, i meant the AC units with the Cav troops, not the Cav troops themselves.

I posted a rule question for recce units some weeks ago.  I got only one response.  Sure enough, Rich and I had the same questions.

When can recce use their special spotting?  I told Rich any time during their activation.  Rich said any time.  It would be nice to hear from others.

I'm still a little unsure of how much difference it would make. I guess a recce could spot for some Op fire 'on the fly' during the opponent's turn if you let it happen anytime.

What else?
11-17-2015, 09:13 AM,
As 8.23 Special Spotting Powers do not refer to the unit's activation, my take is the special spotting ability can be used anytime.