Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the Saipan reduced Marines?
02-28-2015, 05:30 AM,
Why the Saipan reduced Marines?
On the APL website regarding Gold Club member journal for 2015:
Riflemen of Saipan looks at the 1944 Marine rifle platoon, a powerful organization designed for maximum firepower to repel Japanese banzai charges. We may have made them a little too powerful in Saipan 1944, and so we've included a full set of 24 Marine Rifle platoons with a lower (but still pretty awesome) direct fire value.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameGold15Equinox.php

I remember at the time of the release of Saipan 1944 the uber marines were discussed here on PG-HQ. I also recall seeing on consimworld in the PG group during that same time that APL Supoort defended the high value and said words to the effect it should probably be even higher. What prompted the change by APL?
warstudent aka Jim
02-28-2015, 06:17 AM,
RE: Why the Saipan reduced Marines?
I think that John Stafford's termination prompted the change. John sort of became the PG guru, and (at least to me) did not seem very open to discussion or genuine criticism. A second component I think, is that Mike read some of the discussions and recognized the "the wall of bullets" problem.

I saw a firepower of 10 being the last step before a magical/superman boundary. That is why I asked the question here back when the game came out. I thought at the time, and still do, that 9 was the best number for E series USMC platoons. 8 is pretty good considering how the DF table works. Just as a note, Banzai charges pretty ended after Guadalcanal.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-28-2015, 06:41 AM,
I didn't realize John was gone. Who is taking over his duties?
02-28-2015, 10:38 AM,
I searched CSW and found a post dated Aug 18, 2014 in which Mike was looking for at least two developers for the PG family of games.
02-28-2015, 12:43 PM,
Quote:I think that John Stafford's termination prompted the change. John sort of became the PG guru, and (at least to me) did not seem very open to discussion or genuine criticism. A second component I think, is that Mike read some of the discussions and recognized the "the wall of bullets" problem.

Interesting, as I have heard quite a different version of the parting of the ways. I am not going to start a he-said she-said thread, but it is typical of the egos in the industry.
02-28-2015, 01:49 PM,
(02-28-2015, 12:43 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Interesting, as I have heard quite a different version of the parting of the ways. I am not going to start a he-said she-said thread, but it is typical of the egos in the industry.
I wasn't making any commentary on who's idea it was for him to leave, as I was not privy to his relationships in the company. I only stated how he came across to me. Anything beyond that would be speculation on my part.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-03-2015, 01:40 AM,
It will be neat to substitute these new girenes in play. Jay tested Saipan with humans, not ubermench.
03-03-2015, 04:08 AM,
The Marine Values were not decision, new or old, that was at APs hands.
03-13-2015, 03:02 AM,
Larry made a separate thread, but thought a link to the following Daily Content article here might be useful:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/SaipanRifle.php
03-13-2015, 08:22 AM,
(03-13-2015, 03:02 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: Larry made a separate thread, but thought a link to the following Daily Content article here might be useful:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/SaipanRifle.php
From the link:
In the early printings of Panzer Grenadier: Saipan 1944, we gave the Marine Rifle platoon an enormous direct fire rating of 10, making it the most powerful infantry unit in the game series (the Soviets have some AK-armed infantry in Hammer & Sickle with the same firepower rating, but they have a shorter range). That’s probably a little too much, and later printings pull that back to a mere 8:

So Saipan has DF 8 marines officially?
warstudent aka Jim