Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scenario Size and which sizes gets played more?
02-21-2015, 12:44 AM,
RE: Scenario Size and which sizes gets played more?
(02-20-2015, 01:49 PM)t1M0t8yk Wrote: I've been playing lots of small scenarios because I'm a noob and PG reminds me of Band of Brothers. Both of their combat systems have lists of modifiers. BoB started playing faster when the modifiers became second nature. I'm using the small scenarios to advance up the PG learning curve more quickly. It's a major reason I really like Saipan 44.

It's funny. A buddy and I played the intro scenario of Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer on VASSAL a few months ago (he owns the physical copy, I don't) and all I could think reading the rules was "Boy, they sure use a lot of the same concepts that PG has been using for years." So, i came at things from the opposite direction than you.

I really don't like the art on the BoB counters, though.
02-22-2015, 05:36 AM,
(02-21-2015, 12:44 AM)J6A Wrote:
(02-20-2015, 01:49 PM)t1M0t8yk Wrote: I've been playing lots of small scenarios because I'm a noob and PG reminds me of Band of Brothers. Both of their combat systems have lists of modifiers. BoB started playing faster when the modifiers became second nature. I'm using the small scenarios to advance up the PG learning curve more quickly. It's a major reason I really like Saipan 44.

It's funny. A buddy and I played the intro scenario of Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer on VASSAL a few months ago (he owns the physical copy, I don't) and all I could think reading the rules was "Boy, they sure use a lot of the same concepts that PG has been using for years." So, i came at things from the opposite direction than you.

I really don't like the art on the BoB counters, though.

I have both games (Screaming Eagles and Ghost Panzer) but haven't played a game yet other than a solo learning session. I really like the concept of rolling morale BEFORE taking an action and making it based on the suppression as it does not 'tip off' the opponent about weak areas and makes it tense. I really want to get a play in on this one.

I can live with the art, I think if they had not used a 40's-looking font, it might not have turned off as many people.
02-22-2015, 10:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015, 10:02 AM by t1M0t8yk.)
(02-21-2015, 12:44 AM)J6A Wrote: A buddy and I played the intro scenario of Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer... all I could think reading the rules was "Boy, they sure use a lot of the same concepts that PG has been using for years."

I agree that BoB's command-range impulse activation is similar to PG's leader activation, and better than IGO-UGO for tactical games. But what other concepts do you find similar? I can't think of anything else as obvious.

(02-21-2015, 12:44 AM)J6A Wrote: I really don't like the art on the BoB counters, though.

I'm fine with the counter art. Cartoonish human figures, yes, but at least well done for the style they chose. My gripe was with the maps in Screaming Eagles, where shadows muddled the real terrain. But I don't even need to get started on APL's dubious record for mapboards. They're much better looking now, but in my opinion they've taken a step back in functionality (e.g., Saipan 44).
02-23-2015, 03:00 AM,
I didn't like the fonts they used on the counters. The art itself was okay.

I think it was the leader/activation system that really reminded me of it, and the emphasis on morale.