Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korea and bazookas
02-13-2015, 07:24 PM,
RE: Korea and bazookas
(02-13-2015, 07:06 AM)thomaso827 Wrote: Jay, while we are talking about these, I wanted to make sure I am doing it right when they take casualties. I'm treating them as a weapon crew, and since most of my play has been solo, have rolled randomly to see which counter takes the loss, but since they are also just a team, smaller than a weapon unit crew, I wondered if I was doing that right. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thomas, treat them just like Mortar, ART, Flamethrower and other Pesonnel units.
02-13-2015, 08:50 PM,
Thanks guys for the info and feedback. I better understand the situation but still think 3 AT value is too low.
02-13-2015, 09:51 PM,
Yes, aren't Panzerfausts given a six when they are facing things like T34/85s and JSIIs?
02-15-2015, 08:08 AM,
This post covers the difference.
(02-13-2015, 03:01 AM)thomaso827 Wrote: I just checked the counters, and Pusan Perimter has both 2.36 and 3.5 inch models, and the 3 factor is for the 2.36, where the 3.5 goes up to a 6.
02-15-2015, 10:47 AM,
This thread really makes me want to get a copy of Pusan Perimeter! Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-15-2015, 06:42 PM,
Dr. Mike will be happy to sell you one.

Just playing the 1st scenario now. It's on hold because I'm out of town at a convention until Monday. It's an infantry fight, so except for the color of the counters it pretty much feels like a standard PG scenario. There's some different terrain (rice paddies) and they don't have a major effect on this scenario. Although some of the terrain does make the scenario interesting. It's nice playing with the 4e rules. The -1 column for firing when the range is 1 or 2 because of night/weather is a neat addition.

This isn't to put down the game at all. I'm looking forward to playing more scenarios after this one.
02-18-2015, 01:35 AM,
Shad, PP is a heck of a design achievement. Jay had to make endless Korean and American defeats in the field entertaining and exciting. And the game boards give a frozen purplish tint to your gaming table. :-)
04-19-2015, 02:52 AM,
The 2.36 bazooka unit played an important role in the Rock of Chickamauga scenario I played a few weeks ago. It tied down North Koreans in assault and came to the rescue of a demoralized unit and leader. Never again will I laugh at a bazooka unit.
08-28-2015, 06:41 AM,
The reports of Bazookas being worthless is more of a common knowledge myth than anything, and it has to do with the way they were used.

"Hey Mack, where ya been?" Is one book where Marines testified that the Bazooka was adequate, but only if used up close. I have one (only the first) volume of the history of the war from Korean sources. It states that in the initial battles, there were RoKs who were able to take out T 34's with point blank shots, usually dying in the process.
Whether they are true or not, the common theme is that the reports of them not working were from inexperienced soldiers using them from too far away. The later model was an improvement. It's kind of ironic, since we haven't had a credible armor threat since the early days of the Korean War.
08-28-2015, 07:15 AM,
(08-28-2015, 06:41 AM)ParaMarine Wrote: It states that in the initial battles, there were RoKs who were able to take out T 34's with point blank shots, usually dying in the process.

How close is point-blank in this case? Did these soldiers died from the explosion, direct fire from supporting infantry, or something else?