Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tedium of Assualts
02-03-2015, 02:03 AM,
RE: The Tedium of Assualts
The was an assault variant on the AP website 2 years ago. I've never tried it, but it looks like it might make assault combat deteriorate fast for one side or the other.

Quote: They could have sat back a few hexes put up a Starshell and pound the Americans a few turns. But what I find out in these kinds of situations, the attacker gets just as "softened up" by the defender's artillery and return fire then does not have enough to carry the fight forward into the assault.
Some scenarios are like that. I had one those this weekend, no support fire power and assault the SS. (FoW killed my air support and messed up my one other chance.) Some days just suck!
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-03-2015, 02:07 AM,
(02-03-2015, 02:03 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The was an assault variant on the AP website 2 years ago. I've never tried it, but it looks like it might make assault combat deteriorate fast for one side or the other.

Oh, that looks quite interesting. It kind of gives a little more feel and color to what is going on in the assault hex. It doesn't seem too complex either. I will have to try it.
02-03-2015, 02:39 AM,
(02-03-2015, 02:03 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The was an assault variant on the AP website 2 years ago.

I remember seeing this: thanks for the link, Peter.
02-03-2015, 07:25 AM,
(02-03-2015, 01:30 AM)Shad Wrote: I can recall seeing a variant long ago that imposed a morale penalty of -1 on units that were surrounded. It was meant to reward flanking and make these sorts of endless assaults less common. You might try it.

The variant is Unit Isolation, by PG-HQ's own Alan Sawyer.
02-03-2015, 07:44 AM,
(02-03-2015, 02:03 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: There was an assault variant on the AP website 2 years ago.

In that variant, the effect of the tactical advantage is
Quote:During the next assault phase add the tactical advantage to the owning side.

I've always assumed that means a +1 or +2 column shift (as opposed to +1 or 2 Fire Value or +1 or 2 to the die roll). Is that how everyone else reads it?

I've played with it once or twice; the column shifts do keep the assaults from dragging on.
02-03-2015, 08:25 AM,
(02-03-2015, 07:44 AM)rerathbun Wrote: I've always assumed that means a +1 or +2 column shift (as opposed to +1 or 2 Fire Value or +1 or 2 to the die roll). Is that how everyone else reads it?

Interesting: it might also be taken as an addition to the higher side's die roll since the term "column modifier" was not used (possibly implied) in the article. Btw, I'm only offering this an an option, not trying to interpret what APL was likely implying.

The +1 die roll has almost, but not quite the same effect (see below) vs. +1 col shift. Compare, for instance the 13-col vs. 18-col. On the 13-col with a +1 to die roll, one has, in effect, a 50% chance of a '1' result if one assumes that a 6+1 = 7 roll yields the 6 result , but no chance of a '2' result such as found on the 18-col. So the +1 or +2 to die roll is ever so slightly a "softer" modification than the corresponding col-shift for some cols. Exceptions would be the 9/13 and the 18/24 where the two methods are equivalent.

So for folks who might find that the col shift is too severe, perhaps the die-roll mod might provide a compromise interpretation?

PY
02-03-2015, 08:46 AM,
I assumed it was column shifts because that is how all mods to combat are done in the game.
02-03-2015, 08:55 AM,
(02-03-2015, 07:25 AM)rerathbun Wrote: The variant is Unit Isolation, by PG-HQ's own Alan Sawyer.

Oh, I like these rules! I'm going to incorporate them the next time I play. Too bad these didn't make it into the 4th Ed optional rules.

I like the idea that the morale checks take place before activation as it shows a unit hesitating or suddenly distracted and concerned with bad guys on its flank.
02-03-2015, 09:00 AM,
I find urban assaults more interesting when the attacker is pressed for time and must take risks, especially if the defender has options to reinforce assaults or counterattack.

I find urban assaults to be somewhat tedious if the attacker can systematically eliminate the defender while being cautious. I believe it's not the assaults themselves in this case but the lack of meaningful decisions.

I played two scenarios yesterday (one rural assault, one urban assault). The first one was very interesting because I had to make hard choices as to how I would divide my troops and then how to bring in reinforcements in an isolated part of the map when a group was not able to take its objective. The defender had to make small but critical decisions of when to move troops to protect the towns and whether to counterattack (attacker step losses counted as a victory condition).

I have yet to complete the second scenario but so far, I am not enjoying it as much as the first scenario. It's been a series of assaults and the time-pressure element has not yet entered into the equation (the attacker has made good progress). It will be more fun if the attacker suddenly needs to press forward but I am not sure this will happen in this one.
02-03-2015, 09:07 AM,
(02-03-2015, 02:03 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The was an assault variant on the AP website 2 years ago.

(02-03-2015, 07:25 AM)rerathbun Wrote: The variant is Unit Isolation, by PG-HQ's own Alan Sawyer.

How the hell do you guys remember this stuff? DodgyRolleyesBig Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...