Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kursk South Flank - Maps
12-26-2014, 08:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-26-2014, 08:58 PM by stugibsonca.)
Kursk South Flank - Maps
I found a copy of Kursk South Flank under the tree yesterday. First impressions are favorable, though the laser cut counters seem to be anxious to find their way on to the table, or floor, well anywhere but the counter sheet. Not a bad thing surely, though sorting and bagging is in the immediate future.

I have been vocal about PG maps in general and seldom complimentary. In this case I have to say I like the maps. The perspective chosen and the coloring of structures is realistic, as are the representations of hills and trees. The slopes are rendered in a pleasing and natural way and the variation of the background terrain is subtle and adds to the overall appearance of the maps.

Unfortunately the base colors are too dark. There is not sufficient contrast between the background and the symbolized terrain features. I am not sure if that is a printing issue, as others have mentioned regarding other maps, or a palette choice. To be sure the maps should not be as bright as say those in Eastern Front but perhaps a bit lighter than they are here.

One technical quibble, the convention for contour numbering is; right reading, uphill. This means when looking at a contour the number is placed so that reads uphill. This is not an issue when the hills are small but when reading a larger series of contours it can help with determining elevations for LOS evaluation.

Kudos to the map designer. These maps are certainly a step in the right direction.
12-27-2014, 02:16 AM,
RE: Kursk South Flank - Maps
The Kursk: South Flank maps are my favorites in the whole series.

Neither mine nor Matt's maps were too dark so the problem may be a printer issue. K:SF was printed relatively close to Saipan, which maps also varied greatly in dark tones.
12-27-2014, 05:40 PM,
Kursk SF also has a real good mix of scenario's. A good choice from Santa
12-27-2014, 10:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-27-2014, 10:40 PM by stugibsonca.)
(12-27-2014, 05:40 PM)waynebaumber Wrote: Kursk SF also has a real good mix of scenario's. A good choice from Santa

Santa had help Angel
12-30-2014, 06:31 AM,
My wife took advantage of the Viking funeral sale and got Road to Berlin, Sinister Forces, Secret Weapons and Workers and Peasants for me for Christmas. Only non-game stuff under the tree this year for me was the 2 home-brewing aprons and t-shirt. A bit of Christmas cash from mom went to the 12-days-of-Christmas sale.

Tom Oxley
12-30-2014, 10:18 AM,
My wife gave me a 2mm Radius Deluxe Corner Punch Cutter Rounder from Oregon Laminations for my birthday.

I clipped a few sheets but only took one (badly focused) picture of clipped/unclipped counters.

I am very happy with this gift.

No games for Christmas because I am getting Toulon from Legion Wargames as soon as it's available.
12-30-2014, 12:10 PM,
My wife gave me after shave and socks. I must have been on the naughty list
01-02-2015, 04:03 AM,
Since funds are limited got no games this year. My wife did find book 6 in the Safehold series for less than 2 dolor's, 27.99 full price.
01-03-2015, 12:29 AM,
Nice savings. I started that those but it seems to be turning into one of Weber's "never ending series" and I gave up on it.
01-04-2015, 09:43 AM,
There have been 2 points were an ending to the current series has been suggested. I also could see a spin off if technological development is allowed were there is a re-match against the Ababa.