Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] 4th edition
12-25-2014, 01:34 AM,
RE: 4th edition
Interesting discussion about the assault rules. I have found that assaults which go into an unprepared hex (i.e. mostly good order) are substantially longer than in 3rd edition. In addition I have found the number of surprises on low columns (e.g. 3 and 5) with losses for the attacker to considerably shift assault combat towards the defender in comparison to 3rd edition. Certainly a probability analysis of the changes in the table supports that position but with something like 15-20 plays with 4th edition under my belt I feel confident that the theoretical matches the experience.

In one recent play the attacker (attacking into a town) was on the thirteen column and the defender (a demoralized, reduced Soviet infantry) was on the three column (there was a leader). The results? The attacker lost a step and there was no effect on the defender.

I do actually like the change (didn't think I would initially) as assault combat was probably too deterministic in 3rd edition. It could be frustrating but typically it would resolve quickly with sufficient firepower. Now, especially if the defender is blessed with high morale, it is a far riskier proposition.
No "minor" country left behind...
12-25-2014, 06:55 AM,
(12-24-2014, 10:11 AM)waynebaumber Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 06:17 AM)tlangston28 Wrote:
(12-20-2014, 10:08 PM)waynebaumber Wrote: 3. The terrain chart is poor, hard to read. In trying to incorporate every possible terrain in the PG world on one chart AP have made in an unwieldy mess.

Actually - I thought the same thing so I created my own version which contains everything on one letter sized page (US - A4 in the UK?). I have the relevant notes there plus I keep it in a protector with the original chart folded behind it so that i can pull out and reference if needed.

It is an excel spreadsheet and once I get home I can send post it here for you. I can also convert it to a PDF as well.

As for the Mire rules, we are playing a PBEM game now and I am not really enthralled by it (probably because I have most of the Armor in this one! Tongue).
Yes please Tony

Ask and you shall receive. Wink

.pdf   PG4E_TEC.pdf (Size: 45.36 KB / Downloads: 39)
12-25-2014, 07:00 AM,
(12-24-2014, 10:20 AM)waynebaumber Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 10:01 AM)richvalle Wrote: How about that, I'm playing a PBEM game and I LOVE the mire rules. Probably because tlangstons's tanks can't run all willy nilly thought the trees. Tongue

And that's why the mire rules are poor, as I recall (am writing this at work) AFV's are mired for 3 turns at least and then its only a 50/50 chance of getting unmired. Thus in effect stopping AFV's moving through woods during a scenario. Poor rule design IMHO.

Not only this, but I believe if you miss one attempt to get clear, you start over at 3 turns again.