Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did anyone else notice the HMGs?
11-23-2014, 01:13 AM,
RE: Did anyone else notice the HMGs?
(11-23-2014, 12:32 AM)rerathbun Wrote: I'd treat the 9-5/5-5 HMGs as a counter error.
That is kind of the question is it a change or a pervasive error. Since I have lots of old counters, coming down on the error side isn't very hard. On the other hand, if playing with new players, who only have 4th edition games, there could be a problem.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-23-2014, 02:47 AM,
I put all units of the the same type together so when using German HMG's its just the luck of the draw which ones I pull out of the box to use. My rationale is that some units were better trained with better NCO's could absorb the losses better.
Pretty radical for you purist's I know but I am a pretty radical kind of guy.
11-23-2014, 03:36 AM,
Locally known as "Radiguy" for short.
11-23-2014, 06:05 AM,
Heers HMGs used to be 9-5/4-5, starting Lib'44 they are 9-5/5-5.
SS HMGs started as 11-5/5-5 in BN & RtB, but became 11-5/6-5 in Elsenborn.

The Heer HMG is 9-5/5-5 in Fall of France and Burning Tigers, and 9-5/4-5 in everything else (the Airbornes, Afrika Korps, Beyond Normandy, Battle of the Bulge, Cassino, Desert Rats, Eastern Front, Elsenborn Ridge, Liberation 1944, Panzer Lehr, Road to Berlin and Heroes of the Soviet Union/Red Warriors.

Could it be that the German HMG starts out in 1939/1940 with the ideal manpower/equiptment/ammunition because Germany hasn't been depleted? In the future because of being spread too thin & the bottom of the barrel scraping for manpower, and ammo/equipment shortages it can vary? Befpre major offensives select units would be able to bulk up on manpower/equipment/ammo?

"RKKA HMGs were 7-4/3-4, with KSF they became 7-4/4-4".
Did the Soviets bulk up for Kursk?
warstudent aka Jim
11-23-2014, 06:33 AM,
(11-23-2014, 06:05 AM)warstudent Wrote: Could it be that the German HMG starts out in 1939/1940 with the ideal manpower/equiptment/ammunition because Germany hasn't been depleted? In the future because of being spread too thin & the bottom of the barrel scraping for manpower, and ammo/equipment shortages it can vary? Before major offensives select units would be able to bulk up on manpower/equipment/ammo?

"RKKA HMGs were 7-4/3-4, with KSF they became 7-4/4-4".
Did the Soviets bulk up for Kursk?
Since Mike said it must be a John S. change, and he just gets the manifests, rationalizations in regard to historical intent are probably irrelevant. Since the 9-5/4-5 values appear in EFdx, BN, BB, AK, DR, ER, & RtB; the glut-austerity equation also doesn't work. I think John S. just didn't notice the maxim when he started assigning values.

The only real question, assuming you mix unit counters from different games, is what to do with it. In my case, I'll use the older counter and be careful of mixing.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-23-2014, 06:35 AM,
Radiguy? Do you mean relative to me, Vince? That's something I'd to see!
11-23-2014, 07:52 AM,
(11-23-2014, 06:05 AM)warstudent Wrote: Could it be that the German HMG starts out in 1939/1940 with the ideal manpower/equiptment/ammunition because Germany hasn't been depleted? In the future because of being spread too thin & the bottom of the barrel scraping for manpower, and ammo/equipment shortages it can vary? Befpre major offensives select units would be able to bulk up on manpower/equipment/ammo?

I think you might be cutting AP a little too much slack there Undecided
11-25-2014, 01:14 AM,
I use the same procedure as Wayne.

The luck of the leader draw is much important to the scenario balance for me to worry about this extra "1" FP on the reverse side of some HMG counters.
11-25-2014, 02:34 AM,
(11-25-2014, 01:14 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I use the same procedure as Wayne.

The luck of the leader draw is much important to the scenario balance for me to worry about this extra "1" FP on the reverse side of some HMG counters.

Hurrah Big Grin