Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World of Tanks
07-17-2014, 12:19 PM,
World of Tanks
Out of curiosity, how many people on PG-HQ indulge in this guilty pleasure of a first-person tank shooter?

I find the smoothness of game-play and graphics amazing. And I do not have a super-fast connection (old DSL).

What servers are you active on?

My son, daughter and I tend to play on NA-East and NA-West, depending on where my son's friends are logging in from. I'm a bit sad the crossover to the Europe server is difficult and vice-versa (need to install different game versions)... I would love to meet Robert Holzer in personal combat. Big Grin

As of this post, I have my first Tier VII after about 18 months of intermittent play, no gold purchases. My son is up in the Tier IX's. Daughter is at my level, likewise less frequent play.

-Jim
07-17-2014, 03:25 PM,
RE: World of Tanks
Jim,

I dumped computer games in favor for cardboard. I deal with these machines all day and sometimes night, that I need the tactile feel of cardboard and dice.
07-17-2014, 11:41 PM,
I've played off and on for the last few years. Mostly off lately. One of my sons fires it up every now and then and plays.

We've also been playing War Thunder which is the same thing but with planes. And they are working on adding tanks so that you can have tanks AND planes in the same game.
07-18-2014, 02:32 AM,
I will take a second look at it now that I replaced my dying hard drive.

Well, that's assuming I will not have to tank instances and raids for my wife's guild. She wanted us to play World of Warcraft again this summer after a 3 year break and while I enjoy it some, she is becoming quite the gamer again.
07-19-2014, 01:30 PM,
(07-17-2014, 03:25 PM)campsawyer Wrote: I dumped computer games in favor for cardboard.

Hi Alan,

I totally sympathize. My day job has me tied to the machines (big machines, with fun power though... unlocking the secrets of the Universe... or at least, maybe next decade's climate... or not Big Grin).

WoT is great for quick (5 min) pick-up games, when you have to shoot at something at the end of the day, and need easy-to-remember controls. I tend to die in most battles. But it is still fun. And I enjoy being the occasional "old man" in my son's platoon. Smile

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"
07-20-2014, 07:50 AM,
(07-19-2014, 01:30 PM)stear Wrote:
(07-17-2014, 03:25 PM)campsawyer Wrote: I dumped computer games in favor for cardboard.

Hi Alan,

I totally sympathize. My day job has me tied to the machines (big machines, with fun power though... unlocking the secrets of the Universe... or at least, maybe next decade's climate... or not Big Grin).

WoT is great for quick (5 min) pick-up games, when you have to shoot at something at the end of the day, and need easy-to-remember controls. I tend to die in most battles. But it is still fun. And I enjoy being the occasional "old man" in my son's platoon. Smile

-Jim

Jim,

I too did those pickup games but that became rather predictable and unsatisfactory. Back to cardboard was a good move, but I understand others like them. I also unplugged my son from them because he was addicted to them and was stuck in front of the computer and not using his brain. Having him play the cardboard stuff he now had to think about calculating attack factors and reading and comprehending rules. Two good traits that were diminishing with him on the computer. BTW, he blasted me up in the Jutland Battle Scenario the other night. He likes the old GWAS stuff.
07-21-2014, 03:08 PM,
World of Tanks is huge in China. War Thunder hasn't quite caught on yet. These days all my PC gaming is with Xenonauts, which is a remake of X-Com, which I consider to be the best PC game ever made.

Not that I play much! Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-22-2014, 12:12 AM,
X-Com! Oh man, I played the heck out of that game... a few years ago when it came out. Smile
07-26-2014, 09:06 AM,
(07-22-2014, 12:12 AM)richvalle Wrote: X-Com! Oh man, I played the heck out of that game... a few years ago when it came out. Smile

I'm talking about the original X-Com mind you, not the fancy Firaxis remake from a couple of years back. That was enjoyable but not a successor. Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-26-2014, 09:25 AM,
Yeah, me too. I was trying not to date myself. Smile

There was something immensely satisfying about firing those rockets and blowing up the aliens.