Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Tracker Tool
01-13-2016, 07:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2016, 03:54 AM by J6A.)
Game Tracker Tool
Here's a spreadsheet I whipped up to help me keep track of what's going on in my games.  Basically, you input data onto the 1st tab, and the 2nd tab gives you a page you can print out and track initiative rolls, activations, use of OBA and Casualties.  It will handle scenarios up to 48 turns.  Actually, you can add more lines for more turns (just copy/paste the last line), it just will no longer fit on one page.

I've also attached a sample sheet for the scenario I currently have set up.

Feedback is welcome.

Edit: See below. The files linked to this e-mail are not the good ones. I revised them and they are in the 2nd post.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Game Tracker.xlsx (Size: 14.46 KB / Downloads: 17)
.pdf   Game Tracker Sample.pdf (Size: 4.67 KB / Downloads: 42)
01-13-2016, 10:47 AM,
RE: Game Tracker Tool
(01-13-2016, 07:38 AM)J6A Wrote: Here's a spreadsheet I whipped up to help me keep track of what's going on in my games.  Basically, you input data onto the 1st tab, and the 2nd tab gives you a page you can print out and track initiative rolls, activations, use of OBA and Casualties.  It will handle scenarios up to 48 turns.  Actually, you can add more lines for more turns (just copy/paste the last line), it just will no longer fit on one page.

I've also attached a sample sheet for the scenario I currently have set up.

Feedback is welcome.

Okay, remember that thing I posted a few hours ago.  You can ignore it.  I didn't like it when I printed it out.  So, now the lines are wider, it prints landscape, and I learned a neat trick on how to set up a dynamic print range, so it will only print the lines required for the scenario.  With that, I expanded it to handle up to 60 turns, and headers print on every page.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Game Tracker.xlsx (Size: 15.54 KB / Downloads: 19)
.pdf   Game Tracker Sample Updated.pdf (Size: 4.47 KB / Downloads: 29)
01-13-2016, 10:49 AM,
Also note that this doesn't really handle situations where OBA changes during the game. The casualties and cumulative are only if you track this via spreadsheet during the game, otherwise you'll need to manually put them in there. And it doesn't really address aircraft. I could make it automatically print the base initiative each turn pretty easily, however that depends on tracking casualties via the spreadsheet, and I'm not sure if even I would do that.
01-26-2016, 05:10 AM,
(01-13-2016, 10:49 AM)J6A Wrote: Also note that this doesn't really handle situations where OBA changes during the game.  The casualties and cumulative are only if you track this via spreadsheet during the game, otherwise you'll need to manually put them in there.  And it doesn't really address aircraft.  I could make it automatically print the base initiative each turn pretty easily, however that depends on tracking casualties via the spreadsheet, and I'm not sure if even I would do that.

I have used the printout as a worksheet for my last few battles and found it really useful, thanks for putting it together. It makes a nice log of the battle to go back and see what turns were most active and when the battle may have changed. I also note if a side rolls a FOW stoppage since I have found that an unfortunately timed FOW roll can turn a finely planned attack into a bloody mess. Thanks again.
"It was a battle right fierce and terrible" - Froissart
01-27-2016, 01:32 AM,
That's happening in the scenario I'm currently playing. The Germans are on the attack in a relatively short scenario (17) turns, and 3 turns in a row ended early on FoW and the attack is now way behind schedule. I also usually put "FoW" in the activations section when it ends the turn early for the same reason.

I actually first started doing things this way because 1) I would forget to start rolling for FoW; 2) I didn't have any OBA markers, so it was a convenient way to track that; and 3) I would lose track of casualties and forget to change initiative. I'm glad you're enjoying it.
01-27-2016, 08:39 PM,
Good work, will try it on my next smallish scenario.
07-20-2016, 06:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2016, 06:41 AM by J6A.)
Hey guys, after some time away from PG, I've started up a new scenario and was promptly unhappy with the game tracker.  I modified it so it now shows the time of each turn and it also shows the sides base morale.  I hope this helps.

There are 2 files here.  The base Excel workbook, and an example of a filled out data sheet and record sheet.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Game Tracker v2.xlsx (Size: 16.92 KB / Downloads: 16)
.pdf   Game Tracker Sample v2.pdf (Size: 7.31 KB / Downloads: 24)
03-12-2017, 01:06 AM,
FYI, Gary Grunewald did all of the scenario sheets for An Army at Dawn. You can see them here - https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/144695/scenario-aids.

He used V1 of the tracker, so it's not as clean as v2, and I think it's cool to see it being used by others.
03-12-2017, 01:08 AM,
(07-20-2016, 06:22 AM)J6A Wrote: Hey guys, after some time away from PG, I've started up a new scenario and was promptly unhappy with the game tracker.  I modified it so it now shows the time of each turn and it also shows the sides base morale.  I hope this helps.

There are 2 files here.  The base Excel workbook, and an example of a filled out data sheet and record sheet.

Nice improvements. I look forward to using this for future battles. Thanks for making this.
"It was a battle right fierce and terrible" - Froissart
07-25-2017, 11:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2017, 12:27 AM by J6A.)
Here's the latest version.   It now tracks visibility and, if you're tracking casualties via Excel during the game, calculates current morale.  Various other small tweaks have been added, too.

To whomever downloaded, 2_2, it's been superseded by 2_2a.  2_2 was truncating a column on printing.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Game Tracker v2_2a.xlsx (Size: 30.47 KB / Downloads: 11)