Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Friendly fire mods
05-18-2015, 11:28 PM,
Friendly fire mods
Finishing up BSS 28: Stalemate at St. Barthelemy an odd thing happened. A leader with the mortarman/artillerist skill activated a strike against one of my stacks. An adjacent SS stack was hit by friendly fire. The target hex was not in LOS of the firing mortars, the friendly fire hex was.
  • Would the +1 shift for the mortarman/artillerist skill apply to friendly fire incident? (Presumably the leader involved is not directing that fire.)
  • Would the -1 for firers having the target in LOS be applicable? (As in we are hitting our guy, better stop.)
We decided neither modifier should apply in that moment. We are also thinking that the -1 should apply in future games.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-19-2015, 12:20 AM,
RE: Friendly fire mods
Would the +1 shift for the mortarman/artillerist skill apply to friendly fire incident? (Presumably the leader involved is not directing that fire.)
No. 9.52 states the +1 shift applies if the firing unit(s) have a LOS to the target hex. It represents the mortar or artillery''s ability to hit its intended target.

Would the -1 for firers having the target in LOS be applicable? (As in we are hitting our guy, better stop.)
My initial take is no but the second paragraph 9.52 is not entirely clear. There is a -1 shift on the Bombardment Chart that applies to all friendly fire.
05-19-2015, 12:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2015, 12:50 AM by plloyd1010.)
(05-19-2015, 12:20 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: No. 9.52 states the +1 shift applies if the firing unit(s) have a LOS to the target hex. It represents the mortar or artillery''s ability to hit its intended target.
Dan, that isn't the rule rule I am referring too. The applicable rule is the character leader skill from 20.52 of Campaigns & Commanders.
Quote:Mortarman/Artillerist: Once per turn, an active undemoralized Leader Character with this skill can add a +1 column modifier to a Bombardment Fire attack on one hex made by on-board mortar and/or artillery units he activates. He does not have to spot for the mortars or artillery units to give this bonus (he needs only activate them), but can spot for them normally if he has LOS to the target.

(05-19-2015, 12:20 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Would the -1 for firers having the target in LOS be applicable? (As in we are hitting our guy, better stop.)
My initial take is no but the second paragraph 9.52 is not entirely clear. There is a -1 shift on the Bombardment Chart that applies to all friendly fire.
Well, that's opinion. We are leaning more toward the yes side, but are still not decided. Mostly because there would be decisions within the action, unless these guys automatons.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-19-2015, 01:08 AM,
In 4.0 rules I've been playing -1 for all friendly fire.
03-26-2017, 06:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2017, 07:30 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Just bumped into this issue myself (only now trying out the 4th ed. rules).

9.52: If a hex is hit by friendly fire, resolve the bombardment fire attack against the friendly units in the hex normally using a new dice roll. If the firing artillery unit can spot the target hex, apply an additional (bold added) -1 column shift to the friendly fire bombardment. Apply other appropriate modifiers.

Bombardment Table: -1 friendly fire

I take this to mean that all friendly fire BT resolutions have an intrinsic -1 col shift for being what they are (the Table canon).  To this, one also incorporates: (i) all other modifiers that would normally apply to any BF resolution and (ii) an additional -1 shift if the firing unit responsible for the FF can spot the hex being unintentionally hit.  

So, for example FF against:

Two friendlies in a dug-in (clear) hex, not spotted by bombarding units: -2 to the BF col. (-1 DUG; -1 FF)
Three friendlies in a dug-in (clear) hex, not spotted by bombarding units: -1 to the BF col. (-1 DUG; -1 FF; +1 x3 combat units in a hex)
Two friendlies in an dug-in (clear) hex, spotted by bombarding units: -3 to the BF col. (-1 DUG; -1 FF; -1 spotted FF)
Three friendlies in a dug-in (clear) hex, spotted by bombarding units: -2 to the BF col. (-1 DUG; -1 FF; -1 spotted FF; +1 x3 combat units in a hex)