Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, anybody backing this system?
02-21-2015, 12:46 AM,
So, anybody backing this system?
Mark Walker's "Old School Tactical" is now on Kickstarter. Much of me thinks "I already have PG, why do I need another tactical system" and part of me thinks "You're a wargamer. Who cares if you buy it and never play it?"

http://kck.st/1zRYQcR
02-21-2015, 01:40 AM,
RE: So, anybody backing this system?
While it's Mark's company, the game was designed by Shayne Logan.

I considered supporting this or pre-order On to Paris! from Compass Games and the decision became very easy after the KS project's $55 pledge level was full. The next level is at $70 and I suspect this will not be a saving over what I will pay (should I decide to buy) once it's available to e-tailers.
02-21-2015, 02:06 AM,
You're right about the designer. Yeah, I held off on the Compass one, too and missed the pre-order, and with the $55 level gone here, I will probably wait until closer to the deadline to see what stretch goals are added.
02-21-2015, 02:17 AM,
I am somewhat familiar with Mark Walker's work, especially from Armchair General. The game scale is smaller that what I am usually interested in. This project looks much like his other games of the same era, but with a wider scope. I'll likely stay with V&V for my small scale gaming. It will be interesting to see what he & Mr. Logan develop.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-21-2015, 05:29 AM,
I believe Barry Doyle resumed work on Valor & Victory last Fall so there is a chance we will see something new eventually. Maybe even something that we don't have to assemble.

For those not familiar with V&V, it's a very popular PnP game where units are squads for the most part. Simple rules; maybe 16 pages(?) with a lot of illustrations. It gets my vote for the best free PnP game. I've tried to convince Barry in getting in contact with Victory Point Games because this game deserves a wider audience but that effort might have been counterproductive.
02-21-2015, 05:51 AM,
(02-21-2015, 05:29 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I believe Barry Doyle resumed work on Valor & Victory last Fall so there is a chance we will see something new eventually. Maybe even something that we don't have to assemble.
He is sort of thinking about it. Barry hasn't posted anything recently. You can get V&V printed, cut, & boxed at Print and Play Productions. The intro set is $25.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-22-2015, 05:43 AM,
(02-21-2015, 05:51 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(02-21-2015, 05:29 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I believe Barry Doyle resumed work on Valor & Victory last Fall so there is a chance we will see something new eventually. Maybe even something that we don't have to assemble.
He is sort of thinking about it. Barry hasn't posted anything recently. You can get V&V printed, cut, & boxed at Print and Play Productions. The intro set is $25.

There is also a VASSAL module for V&V as well, though I don't know how old it is. I actually printed and mounted my copy of V&V (counters on foam board instead of mat board so they are chunky but light!) and even went to Kinko's to print my maps. I like the system though once again, have only played a solo learning scenario.

This is another one I wouldn't mind playing - VASSAL or otherwise.
02-22-2015, 01:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015, 01:27 PM by Hugmenot.)
The living rules for Old School Tactical can be downloaded from the Flying Pig Games website. The rules read like a long, long series of procedural bullet points and that's not a style I grok.

http://www.flyingpiggames.com/old-school-tactical.html
02-23-2015, 04:47 AM,
I'm a huge ASLer and I have all of PG. Ugh, who wants to collect another tactical gaming system? Since it went Kickstarter and will likely be limited runs it probably will not grow much. I'll pass.
02-23-2015, 06:24 AM,
Well, PG is my one system (does Combat Commander count? If so, that's 2) and I doubt I'll ever get into ASL, so I "have room" for another. I'm just not sure if it makes sense.