Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defending The Westwall : An End Of Series Review
12-04-2012, 04:24 AM,
RE: Defending The Westwall : An End Of Series Review
(12-04-2012, 03:35 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Vince, you explained the German weaknesses, what about there strengths.

OK Alan, not sure what that means ?

However, you asked what were the strengths of the German forces and in case you missed them in your first read, here they are again ? (quoted from above posts)

"" it was often far more profitable to keep them in strong groups, capable of helping themselves, and where possible, trying to get their firepower to somewhere between 11-16 direct fire points and backed with a useful leader.""

""In this way, direct closing US attacks would see DF against them going up 3 columns for Opp.Fire and being adjacent. This would leave the American asking or at least worrying whether such attacks were worth the risk in casualties. Such groups of defenders would also be able to confidently fight assault battles defensively on a decently high column that had a good chance of inflicting casualties too. In other words, I tried to make my stacks frightening and able to inflict VP casualties, ""

""In the last 5 scenarios, the Germans are also assisted by the mud. This slows down the Americans to a crawl in some instances and in each turn that American units fail to advance, time will be eaten up.""

""To inflict pain in the form of losses on the aggressors, I realised that units and bombardments had to be concentrated into ‘clumps’ that could inflict losses on their own strength.""

""So where possible, infantry stacks of 11 or 16 DF often augmented with strong-points could turn out to be fearsome prospects, especially when advanced upon with the Opp.Fire bonus and in closing stages, the adjacent bonus. ""

""Stacks composed of a GREN, HMG and a leader with a ‘1’ bonus for firepower for 16pts, or 2 HMG’s and a strong-point for 22pts always proved troublesome thorns.""

""Likewise, artillery needed, where able to fire on the 30col, whether as OBA or on-board.""

""It is of no surprise to state that towns were always the best location to husband my resources and keep them safe"

""Entrenchments also go without saying when they are part of the OOB.""

""In the muddy scenarios, I also found it useful to place my defending troops where possible, 4 hexes or 800m from covering terrain to the enemy. With just a 2MF, this would mean that I would get 2 turns of Opp Fire against the enemy before they could even muster their own forces for any useful assault.""

""targeting useful enemy leaders, ENG, HMG and FLM units was a priority. This would make enemy assaults on my positions as weak as I could conceivably make them""

""Another tactic was to take out ‘cheap’ targets when able and safe to do so""

""The German armour, due to its fearsome guns are most often at their best being used in positions that show what they CAN do rather than WHAT they do""

""their ability to neuter American armour is possibly just as an effective a tactic to use as it is to try and fight""

Messages In This Thread