Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules
02-10-2014, 03:32 AM,
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules
"Never let doctrine get in the way of clear thinking" - Army Planner's Axiom

Guys, admittedly AP failed to clearly say Jungle was limiting terrain per 8.2 in Guadalcanal rules. However, never let the rules get in the way of common sense in ALL ways, a Jungle is a Forest and hence will follow the same rules, Except as modified in the TEC (it is darker and thicker - hex 1 hex spot)

Personally - I never understood why AP base rules do not allow digging-in a forest or even a town. Believe me, as a Soldier, there is no problem in finding ways to improve cover and concealment in ANY terrain feature.... but I digress.

Luckily SAIPAN, as the latest Pacific Release, clarifies Jungle Rules (thanks Jay Townsend) much better and this should be used to clarify Guadalcanal. I have retyped here for Guad players to have the latest updates to the TEC.

Page 2, Saipan Special Rules - Jungle
"Spotting: Jungle blocks line of sight per 8.3. Jungle hexes are limiting terrain per 8.2, except units occupying a jungle hex cannot be spotted by enemy units more than one hex away. A leader in a jungle hex can only act as a leader to friendly unit and subordinate leaders that are in the same hex with him. Also, a leader who is not in a jungle hex cannot act as a leader to friendly units or subordinate leaders in adjacent jungle hexes. Units in a jungle hex without a friendly leader are leaderless for all purposes. Treat jungle as a 20-meter obstacle.

"Movement: The thick jungle proved quite a hazard to timely and accurate land navigation. Whenever a unit or leader moves from one jungle non-road/trail hex to another, and the move does originate adjacent to an enemy nor will the move place it adjacent to an enemy, the owning player rolss one die. On a result of 1-3 the move to the desired hex takes place; on a result of 4 it moves to the left of the intended hex; on a result of 5 it moves to the right of the intended hex. on a result of 6 the unit expends the MP for the move, but stays in the same hex. This procedure most be followed for each jungle hex into which the unit moves. Units that activate together in the same hex (not adjacent) may, at the player's option, all be affected by the same die rolls (the player must notify their opponent of his prior to rolling the die).

"The MP costs to enter a jungle hex while not moving on a road or trail are Foot 2, Mechanized 4, and Motorized Prohibited. In addition, each time a mechanized vehicle enters a jungle hex while not moving along a trail (Errata NOTE: does not say, but I believe implies a Road too), the owning player rolls one die (roll for each vehicle unit separately). On a result of 1 or 2 the unit suffers a step loss, must move back to the hex it just exited, ceases movement, and is marked with MOVED/FIRED. On a result of 3 or 4 the unit must move back to the hex it just exited, ceases movement, and is marked MOVED/FIRED. On a result of 5 or 6 there is no effect.

"Combat: Direct Fire and Bombardment Fire targeted a jungle hexes suffer a -1 column modifier, and attacks on the Assault Table that take place in jungle hexes suffer a -1 column modifier. Units cannot ig In (16.2) in jungle hexes."

(RULES QUESTION: SAIPAN rules DO NOT say defender occupying Jungle gets First Fire in assault. This is different from Guadalcanal. Is this a purposeful omission or error? - I will add that as a separate rules question. Because I can see two arguments.
1. Per my earlier common sense - jungles are woods and keep the same rules; it is defensive terrain that gives benefit to defender to shoot first against assaulters and should follow same rules as woods in this regard.
2. Counter argument; Per the nature of jungle and the thick and limited LOS- an assaulter can get in very close and infiltrate to negate "First Fire" Benefits. It happened constantly, and the Japanese were adept at it - early on in the war.

Messages In This Thread
Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by Major Sylvester - 09-09-2012, 02:38 AM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by Shad - 09-09-2012, 03:29 AM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by warstudent - 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by Shad - 09-10-2012, 02:26 AM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by waynebaumber - 11-06-2012, 12:33 AM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by waynebaumber - 11-07-2012, 07:35 AM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by nebelwurfer9 - 02-06-2014, 08:52 PM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by nebelwurfer9 - 02-07-2014, 10:24 PM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by armyduck95 - 02-10-2014, 03:32 AM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by nebelwurfer9 - 02-10-2014, 04:19 AM
RE: Guadalcanal: Jungle Rules - by armyduck95 - 02-10-2014, 04:48 AM