Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differentiating formations of units
05-16-2020, 02:01 AM,
Differentiating formations of units
CC2 and Cassino modules have campaigns, where formations like battallions or support units are deployed into different battle areas. During combat resolution the units and leaders of a particular formation are either active or inactive. The latter can mostly use opportunity fire or spot for artillery, but the entire formation turns active for example if an enemy counter moves next to its counter.

On tabletop, you are supposed to represent the activation status by orienting the inactive counters 180 degrees. Additionally, we have used 90 and 270 degree orientation, and name labels to differentiate between different formations. This is important, as you can have inactive GRENs or RIFs of different formations next to each other. And you could have active units next to them or even in the same hex. Also it helps keeping tabs on steps lost from each formation.

Does anyone have experience playing campaign battles in Vassal, or ideas or suggestions on how to represent activation status and tell formations apart? Using what is available, my initial idea is to have inactive units in "Digging" state, as they usually start the game dug in if the terrain allows it. For formations, you could use capture flags or user terrain modification, but I think both are rather unwieldy.

I have zero experience in creating Vassal content, but I am willing to experiment. I watched a couple of tutorials and looked at the module and OoB extensions in the editors. How difficult or feasible it would be to implement additional looping state markings? Something like none/red/green/blue tab, akin to none/Disrupted/Demoralized "Layer - Morale" trait in "PG Unit" prototype, which is inherited by e.g. aforementioned GREN.

[Image: 290930JUN.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Differentiating formations of units - by RikuM - 05-16-2020, 02:01 AM