Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More home grown house rules
05-29-2017, 12:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2017, 12:49 AM by RLW.)
RE: More home grown house rules
OK, I do have one more house rule. I still think that there is not enough distinction between turreted and non turreted AFVs. This rule attempts to further distinguish them. A turret vehicle has much more freedom as to which direction faces., especially when firing. This rule tries to reflect that. Rule 11.1 states that to qualify for cross fire the second or subsequent AT fire must  be traced through a non adjacent hex and not just the spin between an adjacent and non adjacent hex. 

My house rule would be that when firing on a non turreted AFV that even firing along that splice line would qualify that AT fire as cross fire. Also, assuming that the target AFV is facing the first AT at it until it moves that non turreted  AFV can only fire at that a target whose LOS passes through that  firer's hex or if  the target is more than 3 hexes away one LOS falls one to the left for right of the first firer's hex.

The idea here is that with no turret the  AFV pretty much has to shoot in the direction that it tuns it hull. Once the non turreted AFV moves this restriction is relaxed so if it is an efficient AFV and the move and fire rule is used it could move, even  in place (i.e. not leaving that hex) and thus cancel both the cross fire modifier and the  targeting restrictions  though it still must pay the -1 for moving and firing.  A turreted AFV could also move in place to cancel the cross fore restriction but need not do so to for targeting purposes. BTW, moving in place does trigger Op fire but does not cause  the -1 penalty to it..

Thus in summary it is a bit easier to get a cross fire shot against a non turreted AFV (in that spline LOS counts, even two splines would count as well)  and that once  a cross fore situation occurs against a non turreted AFV its targeting options are limited. This rule plus the  dueling restrictions against non turreted AFVs plus the assault interpolation condition  help differentiate  between  turreted and no  turreted AFV capabilities  giving turreted AFVs some advantages.

Now it is funny in that if one makes up some house rule to solve (perceived) problem x it can also  help problem y as well. And in this case this idea of an AFV moving in place (i.e with its hex)  can help solve another problem (or at least one as see as such)., that is how to cancel a spotted marker. For the current rule says one has to leave that hex and then move back to remove a spotted marker .. which seems a bit overkill to me. But with this  idea of moving in pace then that too can remove a spotted marker. But such movement would still cause op fire and the +1 penalty for DF but for AFV it would remove any spotted marker trigger  op fire but not involve the -1 penalty. Thus moving in pace is a variant of normal movement one  exception, no -1 for AT op fire. But at the end of any op fire the spotted marker comes off, regardless of the outcome of that op fire. Also moving in place would cost 1MP regardless of terrain  in regard to loading and unloading  passengers and such.

Messages In This Thread
More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-26-2017, 05:07 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-26-2017, 08:55 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-26-2017, 11:22 PM
RE: More home grown house rules - by Shad - 05-26-2017, 11:56 PM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-27-2017, 07:22 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-27-2017, 01:35 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-27-2017, 05:46 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-28-2017, 08:06 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-29-2017, 12:11 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by RLW - 05-29-2017, 03:05 AM
RE: More home grown house rules - by Shad - 05-29-2017, 08:28 AM