Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Method for interpolating combat values
06-15-2017, 08:18 AM,
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values
BTW, an update here. I have been further play testing this rule and have greatly simplified it to where I just roll the interpolation die twice, take the difference and add that. Thus say if the total fire is 10 since that falls between 11 and 7 and 11 - 7 = 4 I just roll a 4 sided die twice, take the difference between the first and second rolls and the add that to the the base combat value. Also, I no longer treat the maximum die roll of the n sided die as zero. Thus if I rolled a 4 and a 2 that would be 4-2 = 2. Add that to the 10 gives a 12. I take that 12 to be the same as if there actually were 12 combat factors, thus it does not count against shift limits. If in this example I had rolled a 1 and 4 that would give a 1 -4 = -3 and adding that to 10 would be a 7. I have (for now) dropped any rules that causes one to only role of of those two die rolls. Also if the minus rolls is such that it bumps down the column by 2 I limit it to just one. For example if the raw combat total was 22 for DF and rolling two 12 sided die gave 1 - 12 = -11 which would bump that 22 down to a 11 I would treat it as a 16 instead, the next column down from 22.

I am finding this version easy to do and gives satisfying results. The interpolation can help or hurt or have no effect. The more surplus factors one has the more likely it will either help or have no effect. The less factors one has the more likely that it will hurt or have no effect. So sometimes that 28 or 29 gets bumped up to a 30. Other times that 24 gets bumped down to a 16. Most of the time it has no effect.

So in the end I am going with simplicity and minimum impact on over all lethality. I find the results satisfying in that it is rather easy to do and does make every combat factor count.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values - by RLW - 06-15-2017, 08:18 AM