Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Method for interpolating combat values
05-28-2017, 06:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2017, 07:12 AM by RLW.)
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values
I am on turn 9 on my test game, scenario 1 Korean War: Counter Attack and finding these rules are really working well and do not seem to clutter up play all that much. Mostly they do not affect the ultimate outcome of an encounter but do on occasion, causing the loss of a US infantry step once and the added fog of war preventing the NK from  a few impulses via involuntary passes that  led to subsequent  ending of the turn to to fog of war role. So like the proverbial butterfly that flaps its wings in China and thus affects the weather in North America ala chaos theory these rules seem to change the  course of events.

But mostly they don't. So I am seeing this scenario progress much the same as when I played it before, other than I now know better  how to play it for both the US and NK. The added fog  is easy to do in that it requires just looking at the two highest dice roles in the fog of war role to see if they are greater than 10 the moral of both the US and NK over all commanders. The two dice interpolation method adds interest to the  combat dice rolls and occasionally bumps  the column up or down a level. I haven't test the AFV rules yet in that all  the AFVs are to date  standing back waiting for the other side to give them the first shot. And so far there has been no sniper action, perhaps because I missed rolling doubles, for one should about 1/6th of he time..  

The special conditions for rolling just one interpolation die (either the plus or minus) seem to work well and  as I use them they are getting more second nature. Some of the conditions that I have seen were a US motor shot at max range (calling for a minus only interpolation die roll counter by the leader with the two US 8-10 mortars having arty special  abilities (that I arbitrarily decreed it to have before the game)canceling it, even though i rolled a zero for the negative anyway having at first overlooking that leader and his special powers and then a no effect on the CRT (even if it had been bumped up). Even so, outcomes such as these to me just add to the narrative even if they do not always change any outcomes, though they can and  at times do just that.

So I am about getting to the point to declare this test game a success... for what ever that is worth. And what that means is that these are adding to the interest of the game, the  richness of the narrative, proving more satisfying results and all at minimum in crease in game playability... that is for me... but that was my goal all along for doing this test game, to see how I liked these rules in actual play and not just from thinking about them in the abstract.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Simple Method for interpolating combat values - by RLW - 05-28-2017, 06:48 AM