Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking the town on map 2
10-24-2016, 09:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM by larry marak.)
RE: Taking the town on map 2
IThis scenario is a good example of the early PG unbalanced scenarios. The Russians have the only victory condition...control the towns on both boards. The German commander need only set up his entire force in the large town on board 2. The Russians have no infantry, and a modest cavalry force, a few tanks (malfunctioning) and a river gunboat. The gunboat of course is limited to the major river. The Wehrmacht has a large infantry force and oba once the sun rises.

The scenario gets the relative numbers of forces and unit types correct. But it doesn't model the battle its supposed to represent. Historically the Cossacks savaged German infantry columns and the disappeared into the woods. The Germans continued their drive off the south edge of the board.

I'm a tinkerer and and so I remodeled this battle. I changed the set up instructions to have the Axis player set up first, southbound, in columns (2) within 3 hexes of each town. I gave the Russians one cavalry leader character with the rural assault skill (from Campaigns and Commanders), used the optional rule for cavalry overrun twice, and of course tried out the guns of the Azov flotilla using the River Fleets rules expansion to fourth edition PG. These changes and and the luck of the dice allowed the Russians to pull off more casualties among the Germans than they took in turn. Two reduced German infantry platoons retreated to the big town but were forced to flee by turn 19.

Still, this scenario needs better victory conditions. Any suggestions?

And of course it might be fun to give the Russians a couple of penal cavalry units and one NKVD squad to keep them honest.

Messages In This Thread
Taking the town on map 2 - by larry marak - 10-24-2016, 02:29 AM
RE: Taking the town on map 2 - by larry marak - 10-24-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: Taking the town on map 2 - by plloyd1010 - 10-24-2016, 12:36 PM
RE: Taking the town on map 2 - by larry marak - 10-24-2016, 01:06 PM
RE: Taking the town on map 2 - by Shad - 10-26-2016, 09:01 AM