Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberation, the game that saved PG
07-20-2015, 07:41 AM,
RE: Liberation, the game that saved PG
(07-17-2015, 11:09 PM)zaarin7 Wrote: I've been to Caen and the terrain to the south and west is far more open than to the east. Also along the coast and for a few miles inland I saw no hedge rows. So if the fighting is supposed to be on the more open terrain then it is correct. Also the impression I got was Lib 44 covered 21 Army group in the post Normandy advance too. Was that incorrect?
Lib '44 has three main themes : the invasion days near Gold an Sword beaches, Goodwood and Bluecoat. Near Gold and Sword beaches, terrain is "mixed" : that means a lot of hedges, patches of woods and some marshy areas. Of course, all these hedges have not a random pattern : they are aligned on roads and concentrated around the villages (not at all like map 59, for example). Regarding the British Para scenarios around Ranville, the terrain should have more density with lots of woods and hedges. Goodwood involves more open country but certainly not by Russian steppes standards ! Line of sight never exceeds 1 km and woods are also numerous (Troarn region). For Villers Bocage scenario (Wittman etc), I'll let you guess what the village name might mean...
Finally, Bluecoat : this is total bocage area, south of Caumont and near St Martin des besaces. The Germans even concentrated their defences along the roads since they were thinking the Scots would not try to cross the thick hedgerows. However the Churchill tanks were able to drive through the hedgerows and helped the British to conquer the dominating hills... until the arrival of a company of JagdPanthers (that scenario is not in the game, unfortunately).
On Bluecoat, see the excellent books of my late friend, Ian Daglish (sadly, he died in a plane crash, two or three years ago).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Liberation, the game that saved PG - by J6A - 07-17-2015, 07:58 AM
RE: Liberation, the game that saved PG - by leonard - 07-20-2015, 07:41 AM
RE: Liberation, the game that saved PG - by otto - 07-25-2015, 10:07 AM