Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking back from a Designer's view:
04-09-2022, 01:10 PM,
RE: Looking back from a Designer's view:
I'm still figuring that out. I am in the middle of homage to Catalonia. It has some tactical reportage. But I don't think it's definitive in anyway. George Orwell though, is a really good writer politics aside. I have many factual reference books that seem to be designed for high school students. Nothing terribly good. The overall impression I have is that at least on the Catalan front, the Republican forces were only a step up from incompetence. At some points in Orwells recounting of the stories, they were simply firing blind over the trench edge. He states in several places he was more scared of being shot by his own side by accident then by the nationalists.

On the Aragon front, there's a lot more armored combat and higher quality units? I'm just getting a feel for the Spanish Civil War now I will try and dig better references up. Felipe recommended a game the name of which escapes me, which did have some scenarios that were interesting

I think the entire era is interesting because you had the Italians and Germans and by proxy the Russians testing out new theories in armor. Interestingly, the conclusions that they drew may have been erroneous in a lot of ways. The Nationalists had better success but neither side used infantry to support the tanks or fought with combined arms leading observers to believe that tanks could be employed without support which of course was a disaster in the second world war overall. 

I am learning how to code in VASSAL and I would like to try and do a Spanish Civil War module. But a small project has popped up that I think I want to work on first. If I get the time and my other project fails, I would like to do probably two modules. One of the Catalan front, and one on the Aragon front.
treadasaurusrex likes this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking back from a Designer's view: - by goosebrown - 04-09-2022, 01:10 PM