Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When does a unit go "under" an entrenchment?
01-07-2020, 01:00 AM,
RE: When does a unit go "under" an entrenchment?
(01-06-2020, 02:00 PM)Michael Murphy Wrote: Just to play devil's advocate here, RAW would seem to imply combining the two modifiers. My reasoning is that op fire would apply as Jay noted; simultaneously, the unit is also in the entrenchment for a final modifier of minus one (-1), barring any other modifiers.

My(our) contention is that there is no RaW here. If there was we would have said, "Yep, that's it" or "No, we'll try something more reasonable". The word "occupy", in the rules, is used against stationary units, almost exclusively for the non-active player. Woods, town and other terrain modifiers are about being "in the hex" or fire against target "in the hex", as opposed to occupying. Occupying with caves, requires a specific declaration (as do entrenchments), and no one assumes some one moving into or through a cave hex in the cave. We have agreed that units may automatically occupy an entrenchment at the end of a move. Moving through the trenches is another matter.

Incidentally, the question has only come up once, thus far. It will come up more, as I am the Spanish defending San Juan Hill. We played it combining modifiers (net +1). We hope to have a firmer understanding by the next session. I also hope to have a appropriate derisive for those guys in the blue shirts that are surrounding my position.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking

Messages In This Thread
RE: When does a unit go "under" an entrenchment? - by plloyd1010 - 01-07-2020, 01:00 AM