Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minefield "3" random counters
05-12-2020, 11:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2020, 11:28 PM by RikuM.)
Minefield "3" random counters
I have now twice, in different saved games, experienced the following: value "3" minefield counters from random draw behave differently from others. They show their masked value to all player roles (Axis, Allied, observer, Solitaire). This happens both in the map and in off-board holding box.

I am using Minefields extension from Vassal Academy. The other extensions I have active are from Cassino module.

The image below is from off-board holding box viewed as Axis player. The leftmost "3" is unmasked on purpose.

This image shows the counters as viewed in any other role. I have closed and re-opened the OBHB after changing roles.

However, when I draw "3"s from Game Pieces -> Minefields they behave as expected (*). "3" have been replaced, OBHB viewed as Axis:

OBHB viewed in any other role:

*) When moving Game Pieces -> Minefields counters of any value, the mask toggles on/off with every move. I have seen this both on the map and in OBHB.
05-13-2020, 02:06 AM,
RE: Minefield "3" random counters
That is interesting for a couple reasons. Partly because I never thought of putting minefields on the OBHB. Secondly because I don't know why 3's should act any differently than 2's & 1's, apart from having more reduction steps. Toggling the masked status should be only at the player's desecration after the minefield counter is placed. I'll look into it tonight.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-13-2020, 04:15 AM,
The reasons I have had minefields in OBHB are
  • We are making initial placement for Cassino campaign 2, where all 20 minefield counters will be used.
  • I made two learning scenarios for our play group, with three different saves for each:
    • 1st player placement
    • 2nd player placement (with minefields drawn); 1st player has been placed
    • start of turn 1; all counters have been placed.
Nevertheless, both the effects I described happened both in the game map and in OBHB. I can not be 100 % certain, but I see no reason that I would have had one player role when drawing the 3s and another role when drawing other minefields. Do you know how the "ownership" of a random counter is determined; is is just by who it was drawn?
05-13-2020, 04:30 AM,
Ownership is given to the player drawing the minefield. So passing the minefields between 2 players could be difficult.

I have found why 3's are different and why non-random minefields keep flipping. Both problems should be corrected by the end of the week. In the mean time, I still have to do a regular job.
RikuM likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking