PG-HQ Forums
Duplicate Supplements and Games - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Duplicate Supplements and Games (/showthread.php?tid=779)

Pages: 1 2 3

Duplicate Supplements and Games - JayTownsend - 04-06-2014

Duplicate Supplements/Games

I don’t know about you guys but I don’t hold on the earlier versions of Games and Supplements if a newer version comes out.

For example when Invasion of Germany came out I got rid of: North of Elsenborn, Aachen 1944, Siegried Line, Roer River Battles and West Wall.

Also I kept the newer versions of Artic Front and Edelweiss but got rid of the older versions, same with Iron Curtain and with Airborne where I got rid of the first edition for the second and again with Panzer Grenadier I replace it with Eastern Front.

RE: Duplicate Supplements and Games - otto - 04-06-2014

...Mike shoukd really appreciate it!

RE: Duplicate Supplements and Games - zaarin7 - 04-06-2014

I got Invasion mainly because it was one book not four. As far as the boxed games even if I was able to get the new ones I wouldn't if all that's new is a cover. Now if they do an upgrade they need to give us who have supported them an upgrade kit but that's not likely.

RE: Duplicate Supplements and Games - vince hughes - 04-07-2014

Jay,

Actually, I am the other way. I don't buy duplicate newer versions ? I see no point, especially IoG which is completely the same and actually inferior as it is missing 2 scenarios from the 5 x 10 downloads.

With Edelweiss, Robin, a 'Collector' (Note capital C), bought the newest Edelweiss, but as he was missing the comb-bound version he asked if anybody wanted the newer one so that he could complete his collection. In that iteration, I gladly swapped as it meant getting some new scenarios with the new version.

Otherwise, the Airborne I first bought is the 2nd version (parachutes against a blue sky? I think that is the 2nd one) and no more will I buy of it.

They are the only ones I have that have spawned subsequent duplicates. With Saipan, the modest 'new' bits will certainly not make me shell-out more money. Though not quite a subscriber to the "Right FIRST time EVERY time" mantra (little too tough to achieve despite our Force trying to adopt it), I also will not be coaxed into that what I have is now 'defunct' because of a few 'new bits'. As always, one would hope that what is for sale is ready to play.

RE: Duplicate Supplements and Games - Brett Nicholson - 04-07-2014

I don't understand what is mean't by "got rid of" older games and what the purpose of this thread is. I would hope that by getting rid of your older games you mean selling or trading them to people that don't have the luxury or means to constantly upgrade. I understand that AP will not be reprinting 'Desert Rats' any longer and most likely we can expect that other boxed games with the foldable, paper maps such as 'Afrika Korps', 'Guadalcanal' and others will also be discontinued (perhaps repackaged later and/or enhanced) because AP says that it will no longer be producing those type of gameboards. I also understand that 'Saipan 44' is getting revamped and likely along with new artwork. As a designer my question to you would be if you are suggesting that people not buy any existing copies of 'Saipan 44' and hold out for the new one, and, secondly, those that already own that game to "get rid of" it as soon as they rush out to buy the new one? Maybe I should stop playing any further scenarios from 'Guadalcanal' and wait for it to go out of print and then wait even longer to see if it will get revamped and repackaged along with a price increase. Also, I understand that 'Invasion of Germany' is a collection of other supplements that are now out of print but other than that no upgrade. If you already owned all of those prior than why would you "get rid of" them to get a book that has already shorted the potential customer of one of the scenarios? I can understand upgrading 'Artic Front' and 'Edelweiss' as there are more scenarios (at the cost of requiring the ownership of even more titles to play those). With 'Airborne' there was a change of scenarios with each incarnation. But more specifically, what are you getting at here?

RE: Duplicate Supplements and Games - JayTownsend - 04-07-2014

(04-07-2014, 12:26 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: I don't understand what is mean't by "got rid of" older games and what the purpose of this thread is. I would hope that by getting rid of your older games you mean selling or trading them to people that don't have the luxury or means to constantly upgrade. I understand that AP will not be reprinting 'Desert Rats' any longer and most likely we can expect that other boxed games with the foldable, paper maps such as 'Afrika Korps', 'Guadalcanal' and others will also be discontinued (perhaps repackaged later and/or enhanced) because AP says that it will no longer be producing those type of gameboards. I also understand that 'Saipan 44' is getting revamped and likely along with new artwork. As a designer my question to you would be if you are suggesting that people not buy any existing copies of 'Saipan 44' and hold out for the new one, and, secondly, those that already own that game to "get rid of" it as soon as they rush out to buy the new one? Maybe I should stop playing any further scenarios from 'Guadalcanal' and wait for it to go out of print and then wait even longer to see if it will get revamped and repackaged along with a price increase. Also, I understand that 'Invasion of Germany' is a collection of other supplements that are now out of print but other than that no upgrade. If you already owned all of those prior than why would you "get rid of" them to get a book that has already shorted the potential customer of one of the scenarios? I can understand upgrading 'Artic Front' and 'Edelweiss' as there are more scenarios (at the cost of requiring the ownership of even more titles to play those). With 'Airborne' there was a change of scenarios with each incarnation. But more specifically, what are you getting at here?

You are reading too much between the line. All I am saying is I do not have the room on shelf for three version of Airborne for example. When the second version came out I sold the first version and when the third version came out I didn't buy if because there wasn't enough change. Invasion Germany allowed me to replace 4-5 items with one, making more room again on my shelf but every situation is different.

BTW, there is no existing copies of Saipan. Not sure what changes there are either in the new release.

RE: Duplicate Supplements and Games - Brett Nicholson - 04-07-2014

Okay, got it and glad you aren't tossing away games and supplements into the trash because I would pay for the shipping of any old and unneeded material! Best of luck with the Marianas supplement as well. I hope in the future that once you are done with the Korean conflict you can contribute more to the Pacific theater as there is so much more to cover ("hint" Tarawa, Bougainville, Luzon) Smile

(04-07-2014, 04:55 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: Okay, got it and glad you aren't tossing away games and supplements into the trash because I would pay for the shipping of any old and unneeded material! Best of luck with the Marianas supplement as well. I hope in the future that once you are done with the Korean conflict you can contribute more to the Pacific theater as there is so much more to cover ("hint" Tarawa, Bougainville, Luzon) Smile

No problem!

Now Games like Ardennes '44 by GMT games, I found the 2nd edition well worth the purchase and replacement of the first game, which again I sold.

RE: Duplicate Supplements and Games - rerathbun - 04-07-2014

(04-07-2014, 12:10 AM)vince hughes Wrote: With Edelweiss, Robin, a 'Collector' (Note capital C), bought the newest Edelweiss, but as he was missing the comb-bound version he asked if anybody wanted the newer one so that he could complete his collection. In that iteration, I gladly swapped as it meant getting some new scenarios with the new version.

Speaking of which, anyone want to trade a copy of Lions of Finland for a brand new Arctic Front Deluxe?

Robin
a Collector