PG-HQ Forums
Saipan 1944 - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Saipan 1944 (/showthread.php?tid=297)

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 08-15-2013

With Guam 1941 & 1944 and Tinian 1944 in the works as a book supplement with more maps and 30 more scenarios, the value of owning Saipan will go way up. I think the Tinian-Guam scenarios are some of my best ever and hope they carry over that way in development one day. I guess I can mention this here somewhat since Mike mentioned it in a CSW posting.

RE: Saipan 1944 - Shad - 08-21-2013

Thank you for all your hard work, Jay. Designers never get enough credit, especially PG's designers!

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 08-21-2013

(08-21-2013, 06:37 PM)Shad Wrote: Thank you for all your hard work, Jay. Designers never get enough credit, especially PG's designers!

Thanks Andrew. Cool

RE: Saipan 1944 - otto - 11-14-2013

Dear Jay,
I'm playing scenario 1 and I'm facing a few problems with LTVs. Basically it is very important to figure out clearly how long (i.e. how many turns) it takes them to take lend and unload.
It does not seem that you replied to this Enrique's question (sorry if I'm wrong):

"AMPHIBIOUS MOVEMENT
- Amphibious units have two movement types: aquatic and terrestrial (# / #). I think the number before the dash is land movement allowance and the number after the dash is water movement allowance. Right?
- The rules do not indicate if it is possible aquatic and terrestrial movement in the same action segment. I play as if only a movement type is possible in each action segment (for example, an amphibious unit can not move in the ocean, land on the beach and penetrate in the island in the same action segment). Right?"

May I ask you to give us a few examples?
E.g can LTV unit that is two hex away from the beach can arrive and unload in the same action segment?
It would be 1 mp of naval movement + 3 mp terrain movement for the beach hex + 1 terrain movement for unloading infantry.
I take that when the LTV arrives in the beach hex it pays 3mp for terrain mechanised movement ... but it could be argued that since it arrives from the sea while reaching the shore for the last time it pays 1mp with naval movement.

Was my question clear?

Thanks a lot
Ottavio

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 11-14-2013

(11-14-2013, 04:15 AM)otto Wrote: Dear Jay,
I'm playing scenario 1 and I'm facing a few problems with LTVs. Basically it is very important to figure out clearly how long (i.e. how many turns) it takes them to take lend and unload.
It does not seem that you replied to this Enrique's question (sorry if I'm wrong):

"AMPHIBIOUS MOVEMENT
- Amphibious units have two movement types: aquatic and terrestrial (# / #). I think the number before the dash is land movement allowance and the number after the dash is water movement allowance. Right?
- The rules do not indicate if it is possible aquatic and terrestrial movement in the same action segment. I play as if only a movement type is possible in each action segment (for example, an amphibious unit can not move in the ocean, land on the beach and penetrate in the island in the same action segment). Right?"

May I ask you to give us a few examples?
E.g can LTV unit that is two hex away from the beach can arrive and unload in the same action segment?
It would be 1 mp of naval movement + 3 mp terrain movement for the beach hex + 1 terrain movement for unloading infantry.
I take that when the LTV arrives in the beach hex it pays 3mp for terrain mechanised movement ... but it could be argued that since it arrives from the sea while reaching the shore for the last time it pays 1mp with naval movement.

Was my question clear?

Thanks a lot
Ottavio

Not a 100% clear but I think you are talking about the LVT 7/3 (Land/Water) movement. I guess you would have to figure how many movement points you used between water and land. for example, I would say If you moved 2 water hexes you would still have 3 land movement points left. As far as loading LVT As its the same rules as APCs. LCVP and Daihatsu are treated like truck for loading and unloading. Yes you can move sea and land on the same turn if you have movement left. See scenario rules 7,8,12,13,14 and this:

LVTs, Landing-craft & Ships:
Ships of opposing sides cannot be in the same hex (no assault combat in the water). Landing craft and amphibious units can be in assaults with ground forces when then hit beaches.
LVT 4 = APC
LVT A1 and LVT A4 = AFV
LVT 4 and LVT A4 are open top.
LVT A1 is closed top.
LVT 4 = 1 step units.
LVT A1 and LVT A4 = 2 step units.
LVT A1 and LVT A4 both have inherent leaders.
Ocean-traveling LVT 4’s do not suffer leader decapitation while at sea: other landing-craft would still head for the landing beaches regardless if the Colonel in another craft was killed or not and most likely his death would not be acknowledged for some time.
LVT (A)'s should have been given an amphibious armor symbol.

I hope that answers your questions?

RE: Saipan 1944 - otto - 11-14-2013

Absolutely yes, thanks. Or at least almost.

Given that the LVT has a 3/7 (water and land movement) should I take from your sentence: "for example, I would say If you moved 2 water hexes you would still have 3 land movement points left" that having spent two thirds of its water movement the LVT gets one third of its land movement that it is rounded up to three? I.e. from 2.3333 to 3.

In scenario 1 the Japanese gets one victory point for each US eliminated step. There is no mention to US armour. As from your post above, should I consider the LVT A1 and LVT A4 as tanks and give the Japanese player two victory points for each tank step eliminated?

Ottavio
PS congratulations, fantastic game!

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 11-15-2013

Yeah Ottavio, I would just round up.

In scenario one AFV do Not count as double when eliminated. Too easy for the Japanese to win in that scenario if so.

RE: Saipan 1944 - Hugmenot - 11-15-2013

(11-14-2013, 06:44 PM)otto Wrote: Given that the LVT has a 3/7 (water and land movement) should I take from your sentence: "for example, I would say If you moved 2 water hexes you would still have 3 land movement points left" that having spent two thirds of its water movement the LVT gets one third of its land movement that it is rounded up to three? I.e. from 2.3333 to 3.
I agree with idea of converting remaining movement points available as a ratio as outlined above.

I strongly disagree with the rounding up movement points available because it it not consistent withe the way movement along roads is handled. If a mechanized unit that has 2 movement points remaining move one hex along a road, he expends 1/2 a movement point and has 1 1/2 movement point remaining. It thus cannot enter a clear hex that is off road at this point. No rounding up.

In your example, I would say the LVT has 2 1/3 movement points left and not round it either up or down.

RE: Saipan 1944 - campsawyer - 11-15-2013

I have taken a simpler approach to the land v. sea movement. Get rid of the sea movement and make it 2MP's. I have never like the split movement because of the issues that Otto have brought up. I believe MP's are not a true reflection of speed, but of movement in relation to the battle, so only one set of movement point costs are needed. Only point that needs to be clarified is what units are amphibious and what are not.

RE: Saipan 1944 - vince hughes - 11-15-2013

(11-15-2013, 12:47 AM)Hugmenot Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 06:44 PM)otto Wrote: Given that the LVT has a 3/7 (water and land movement) should I take from your sentence: "for example, I would say If you moved 2 water hexes you would still have 3 land movement points left" that having spent two thirds of its water movement the LVT gets one third of its land movement that it is rounded up to three? I.e. from 2.3333 to 3.
I agree with idea of converting remaining movement points available as a ratio as outlined above.

I strongly disagree with the rounding up movement points available because it it not consistent withe the way movement along roads is handled. If a mechanized unit that has 2 movement points remaining move one hex along a road, he expends 1/2 a movement point and has 1 1/2 movement point remaining. It thus cannot enter a clear hex that is off road at this point. No rounding up.

In your example, I would say the LVT has 2 1/3 movement points left and not round it either up or down.

Agree, never round up movement points