PG-HQ Forums
Saipan 1944 - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Saipan 1944 (/showthread.php?tid=297)

RE: Saipan 1944 - larry marak - 10-27-2012

I love doing "Ogre" situations at odd moments. Unstoppable mobile force versus and invincible defender. Kursk situations are always available for that, but you can create some fun what-if's...Start with a fall of France scenario where the mobile German force always wins, then thru replays gradually build up the French defenses till the Gross Deutschland cries..... Saipan is ideal for this, as was Yaqinto's Album game Beachhead all those years ago. :-}

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-27-2012

Yeah, I think in Guadalcanal it was more about the mechanics of off-loading landing-craft and getting the units to unload where in Saipan it’s a full on beach assault with amphibious assault units against fixed enemy positions.

At least for the first group of scenarios, as in later ones the Japanese counter-attack!

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-29-2012

(10-27-2012, 01:47 AM)larry marak Wrote: I love doing "Ogre" situations at odd moments. Unstoppable mobile force versus and invincible defender. Kursk situations are always available for that, but you can create some fun what-if's...Start with a fall of France scenario where the mobile German force always wins, then thru replays gradually build up the French defenses till the Gross Deutschland cries..... Saipan is ideal for this, as was Yaqinto's Album game Beachhead all those years ago. :-}

I never played or saw the Yaqinto's Album beachhead?

RE: Saipan 1944 - larry marak - 10-29-2012

Quote:I never played or saw the Yaqinto's Album beachhead?

It was the second of the 3 games in Yaquinto's "other" tactical level system. The Eurpean one was called Close Assault, the Pacific one was Beachhead, and the third, covering combat in the modern era, was published by Avalon Hill as Firepower.

Armor-Panzer-88-MBT-IDF was their competitor to Tobruk, and these three infantry games were their competitor to Squad Leader. The 3rd version ofPanzer is now being produced at GMT.

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-30-2012

Looks like Saipan should be ready to start shipping pretty soon!

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-30-2012

Looks like all the pictures I posted here are now full size. Thanks Andrew for that adjustment.

RE: Saipan 1944 - Shad - 10-31-2012

Np.

Who playtested Saipan?

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-31-2012

If you mean besides me, no one! A little difficult without the actual maps and my pretend ones just didn't cut it. But don't worry, I am pretty sure I know what works and doesn't. I played tested Nihon Silk as well but had the real maps, which made it much easier. The Marine higher values might be an interesting change I wasn't aware of but it could be a good benefit as well to balance things out.

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-31-2012

It seems like a long time ago since I designed the scenarios, as it's going into November now and I need to go back and review things just to remember. It should be interesting to see what changes have taken place in the development, mostly where map location victory conditions might have change in the scenarios that had them?

Scenarios 1 & 2 are very similar, as the Marine invasion forces are the same for both Green & Red Beaches but the Subtle changes in the map setup configuration, the Japanese defenses, off board-artillery and the victory conditions make it different. In scenario 1, both sides have a chance to obtain a victory or draw but in scenario 2, it winner takes all, at least in the original design. Not sure how the final product looks yet. I am sure it will stay pretty close to my design, as everything else has so far.

RE: Saipan 1944 - vince hughes - 10-31-2012

(10-31-2012, 12:00 AM)Shad Wrote: Np.

Who playtested Saipan?

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

This is APL you're talking about right ?