PG-HQ Forums
Saipan 1944 - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Saipan 1944 (/showthread.php?tid=297)

RE: the designer rates.... - Shad - 10-05-2012

(10-04-2012, 11:50 PM)larry marak Wrote: Jay is not rating his own creations here. He is rating how good a job the development crew at APL did with his creations. He has commented (mainly at consimworld) on how his scenarios and special rules were changed to meet Avalanche's perceived requirements. Thus his ratings actually have additional value, as do Ottavio's and Murray's, as they are rating the final product, and not their version of the product.

This settles it for me as far as I'm concerned! Vincent, do you have a ratings horse high enough to let you raise your nose yet a bit higher over this excellent point? Tongue

Sort of like this, but in the saddle:

[Image: snooty.jpg]

RE: Saipan 1944 - J6A - 10-05-2012

"Jay is not rating his own creations here. He is rating how good a job the development crew at APL did with his creations. He has commented (mainly at consimworld) on how his scenarios and special rules were changed to meet Avalanche's perceived requirements. Thus his ratings actually have additional value, as do Ottavio's and Murray's, as they are rating the final product, and not their version of the product."

I don't buy this explanation for a second. I wouldn't buy if Jay said it. Nihon Silk is not "based on a novel by Jay Townsend", its "modifications to a novel by Jay Townsend." If, indeed, he was rating it that way, I find it hard to believe that he would think that AP's developers did a perfect or near perfect job on every scenario.

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-05-2012

Well I am done explaining about Nihon Silk AAR rankings. No one played it at the time and at that time it was download only with only about 12 owners, so no harm bring attention to it. I won't rank scenarios from Saipan, so guys rank them any way you see fit, 1-5.

My main focus in this folder was to bring attention to a new PG game and hopefully one that will be rank well, play well and bring enjoyment to gamers. Also to get the Pacific back into PG.

RE: the designer rates.... - vince hughes - 10-05-2012

(10-05-2012, 11:47 AM)Shad Wrote: This settles it for me as far as I'm concerned! Vincent, do you have a ratings horse high enough to let you raise your nose yet a bit higher over this excellent point? Tongue

Sort of like this, but in the saddle:

[Image: snooty.jpg]

Shad,

Disappointingly, I didn't think enough of the comment to even make a response on it (and Larry I mean that in a way to mean its relevance and not in a way meaning I don't think much of your input).

Josh responded to you and wrapped that one up, so no need to repeat here.

You are the site owner and at the end of the day the final say will be yours General Shad. But if none of these things matter and laissez faire is de riguer (starting to feel the need for a France 1940 scenario), then the stats page is pointless and near redundant.

I remember before you got PG-HQ going you stated to me in an email how you enjoyed stats on various things as I do too. I think what we have here is different views on what the stats mean and how they are collated. I had an honest held belief that they were ratings by 'users' and simply never thought a designer would rate their own efforts.

As you have explained, you had an entirely different ethos on this. Now that I understand that, I can (and will) view them differently as poor old Aachen 44, Romanian Soil and Siege of Leningrad get dumped from their top spots, despite their labours of having given so much 'rated fun' for 3rd party users.

RE: the designer rates.... - Shad - 10-05-2012

(10-05-2012, 04:38 PM)vince hughes Wrote: You are the site owner and at the end of the day the final say will be yours General Shad. But if none of these things matter and laissez faire is de riguer (starting to feel the need for a France 1940 scenario), then the stats page is pointless and near redundant.

Did you just black out when reading my functional proposal or what? Here's the link back to my solution on page 9...

What's wrong with that?

RE: Saipan 1944 - vince hughes - 10-05-2012

No I saw that Shadster.

RE: Saipan 1944 - Shad - 10-05-2012

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it's (un)acceptable becauseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

RE: Saipan 1944 - vince hughes - 10-05-2012

(10-05-2012, 05:51 PM)Shad Wrote: annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it's (un)acceptable becauseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

lol -

Its acceptable, albeit I think the box should have a default NOT to include designers ratings and therefore the PG'er would have to 'check' it to include them.

I was still discussing the central points raised with the many scribes here and didn't realise this was a 'choice' as such. I thought you were just going to add it.

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-05-2012

Don't worry about it guys, I won't rank Saipan and Nihon Silk is a small fish done well over a year ago.

RE: Saipan 1944 - larry marak - 10-05-2012

Speaking of Nihon Silk, which I'm hoping to see any week now, I wonder if unused Japanese parachutes met the same fate after the war that American parachutes received. There were vast numbers of parachutes surplused out after the war to the clothing industry. During the 50's my mother made pants for me and my 3 brothers and used parachute material to make the pockets. I used to jump around and pull inside out my pockets to show I was parachute jumping in 1955.

Looking forward to a massive increase in SNLF and IJA counters in my gaming library soon.