PG-HQ Forums
Saipan 1944 - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Saipan 1944 (/showthread.php?tid=297)

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-04-2012

Rating 4-5 is excellent in my opinion. The only reason I had for ranking any scenario a 4 in Nohin Silk, was after development, maps were changed or hidden rules added to my scenarios which change them a bit. After this debate/fire-storm, I really doubt I will rank any of my Saipan scenarios.

the designer rates.... - larry marak - 10-04-2012

By Vince I think its pointless (no pun intended on the word pointless) for the designer to rate them because they simply can not be neutral ratings.

Having re-read the last two pages it suddenly struck me that we are misapprehending Jay's activities. Jay is not rating his own creations here. He is rating how good a job the development crew at APL did with his creations. He has commented (mainly at consimworld) on how his scenarios and special rules were changed to meet Avalanche's perceived requirements. Thus his ratings actually have additional value, as do Ottavio's and Murray's, as they are rating the final product, and not their version of the product.

RE: Saipan 1944 - larry marak - 10-04-2012

And of course Jay beat me in posting by just a few seconds here.

Jay, come back in, the water is fine.

RE: Saipan 1944 - vince hughes - 10-04-2012

Dresden was a firestorm .... This is mere blather !

RE: Saipan 1944 - larry marak - 10-05-2012

Indeed. One of my German teachers was a school girl in Dresden. She was away at summer camp on the night of the bombing.
My other teacher was a slave in the forced labor camps. He was classified as half-Jewish, his father being non-Jewish. That put him into slave labor rather than the death camps. Spent his teenage years mining.

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-05-2012

One more comment, when I first ranked Nihon Silk, I knew no one would post AARs as it originally came out as a download. So to help generate interest and sales I post AARs on it. I also want to play the developed scenarios to see what changes took place and how it effected the scenarios, which was more for me.

When Saipan is released, I will hold off on entering any AARs but I am still interested in what developmental changes took place, like maps, and how the new maps and terrain might have effected the victory conditions or the length of the turns. How new unit values might effect things as well and if John & Mike have altered anything. Like Mike mentioned, I sent it in pretty clean but I know things will still be changed. I even included my version of specail rules but I know Mike will most likely redo supplement special rules like last time.

Hopefully now, we can get back on track in this folder as well. Smile

RE: Saipan 1944 - J6A - 10-05-2012

(10-05-2012, 01:44 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: One more comment, when I first ranked Nihon Silk, I knew no one would post AARs as it originally came out as a download. So to help generate interest and sales I post AARs on it.

Which I think is excellent. A good AAR is a good AAR. However, that's not the same as rating the scenario, IMO. Unless there's a disclaimer, in which case people can choose to throw out your rating if that makes them happy.

(10-05-2012, 01:44 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: When Saipan is released, I will hold off on entering any AARs ...

I'd still be interested in your AARs, especially with notes on how the scenarios changed. With disclaimers, of course. Smile

RE: Saipan 1944 - vince hughes - 10-05-2012

Jay,

AAR's are needed. Your AAR's on Saipan and Nihon Silk are needed. They are a completely different thing to rating a scenario.

Not only that, seeing your AAR and then your thoughts on how it turned out compared to how you thought it might have turned out whilst designing it would also be of interest. ie: Did it do what it said on the tin, or did it in fact move in a totally different direction than expected ?

And again to you as to Larry, there is no 'track' to get back onto. It is just discussion on what is after all a FORUM :-)

RE: Saipan 1944 - JayTownsend - 10-05-2012

I wrote some supplement rules for new special units/counters and caves counters, so it should be interesting to see how those pan out. But I don't wish to give away anymore, so buy the game! Smile

RE: Saipan 1944 - Hugmenot - 10-05-2012

You can tell me as I already purchased the game.