Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
time frame for review of logged files?
05-18-2020, 05:31 AM,
time frame for review of logged files?
I've been owner of several modules panzer grenadier for many years but my play of them has been limited in recent years due to lack of vassal modules.  haven't purchased any new modules in awhile either for that same reason.   I am largely a solitaire player.  I was thrilled to see vassal modules are now available but to be honest I have mixed feelings about the process.  Its a little frustrating to have to "prove" my commitment to the game before I am allowed to download modules.  But if  those are the rules I'll play along.   Besides it has been a great review of the rulebook and I had been getting some things wrong.  Still not perfect with rules but better.

At any rate back to my original question.  I've submitted two files and still awaiting approval.  One was uploaded a week ago.  I have two more to upload and with a little luck will have the fifth soon. My documentation hasn't been ideal since I am solitaire but it should be enough to show I have some idea of what I'm doing.  I don't mean to sound pushy just wondering how long it takes to get logfiles approved?  I would like to purchase some of the newer modules such as Saipan or Dunkerque but I won't until I am sure I can play them on vassal. Thanks for your time.
05-18-2020, 06:06 AM,
RE: time frame for review of logged files?
The Academy is how we were able to get APL to go along with the Vassal idea in the first place, they have the copyright. It understand how important that is, count the number of SPI and GDW games available on the Vassal site. The dearth of those titles is due to copyrights being unclear or withheld (They explain explain that somewhere on the site.)

Reviews are by volunteers. The trouble is, being volunteers, we have other stuff to do and energy level varies at times. In my case, I not only do reviews, I make or coordinate the new games for Vassal, define the game packages, help with the PG-HQ site at large, take a night class and still have a regular life to live. I usually pick up logfiles on Monday morning, and do them during my lunch break.

Focus was originally on 3rd edition games. The PG Über project had a clandestine beginning. If it got loose without permission, we didn't want APL getting lawyers an forcing the site to shutdown. Now that we are legal, with the condition I explained above, we can build support for 4th edition games, In fact Dr. Mike has suggested that we do. Then again, it is still a volunteer effort.

Dunkirk, Fall of France, South Flank, Burning Tigers, and Africa Orientale Italiana are now supported. Broken Axis will be supported in the June update. Saipan and Mariannas should follow soon, or be up in the September update, if they require changes to existing files. The Korea games, Modern and Infantry will be supported, but they will need slight modifications to the base module.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-18-2020, 09:51 AM,
I understand it’s a decision made by avalanche press. I am playing ball and doing what I’m supposed to but I’m going to grumble a little bit. I can’t help but think that the necessity of going through this is a turnoff for some potential gamers. But, I have already played the system enough though to know that it’s worth the effort. I can’t say I’d be willing to do this for some of the other systems I’ve played. I will add that several other successful game companies freely make at least some of their games available on vassal - mmp, compass games, gmt, flying pig games, legion war games..
Alright I’m done venting. What I’ve seen of the modules look great and play very smoothly. Thank you for your hard work. I know you are busy -we all are (my playing time is limited that’s why I want to get this process done) - and I say this jokingly , “just get on with it then!”
Thank you.
05-18-2020, 10:34 AM,
Maybe not legion I’m not sure but I thought I have a game with module though. S&T have many modules for various magazine games available at their web site. White dog games will email module to you if they know you and can see that you are a customer. ATS does not have vassal modules and I think one can make an argument that they have fallen to the wayside in recent years although there may be other factors at work.

At any rate, I applaud you. You too are playing by avalanche press rules. And because of that we now have modules which we didn’t a year ago. Also I gather you play a roll in designing modules as well which is no small feat. It’s just a little bit of a headache to get to them That’s all. But the gameplay is worth it imho.
05-18-2020, 10:41 AM,
Sorry critical hit who makes ats
05-31-2020, 07:21 AM,
Hi fishboy, thank you for your patience as you navigate the Academy. We're happy to have you here.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...