Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcomer
03-15-2020, 07:02 PM,
Newcomer
Hello there. I'm a newcomer in the community and I chose theself study path. I already had a PG game a few years ago but never played again since then. I have to follow the study plan starting with point 1 but don't know where I find the files needed for vassal. Someone could help me? Thanks
Shad likes this post
03-15-2020, 10:30 PM,
RE: Newcomer
Hi Mauro, welcome to PG-HQ and the Academy!

Here's how to get started:
  1. Choose an Academy pathway (you've done this)
  2. Go to the Vassal Data Files page
  3. Download one copy of everything in the Core Data list
  4. Install Vassal from VassalEngine.org if you haven't already
  5. Run Vassal and open the Uber module
  6. Right-click on the Module in the main Vassal window and select Add Extension... , then add the Minefields and Mentoring Extension.
  7. Start a new game with the Uber Module, open up Uber Mentoring Scenarios Document, and set up scenario #1.
That's kind of an overview. I wasn't sure how much detail you needed. If you get stuck by all means please post again. We're all here to help! Smile

And welcome!!!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-17-2020, 06:29 AM,
I got another question, I already used vassal but don't know what a logfile is... it's like a file which record every action I take during the game? I have to create it and then send it to you, the mentors?

thanks
03-17-2020, 06:37 AM,
Yes, once you have the game set up, on the file menu you have an option for Begin Logfile. Give it a name and save location and if you go. Make sure to choose End Logfile when you're done.
03-17-2020, 06:45 AM,
I created a document in the Core Files section. It will walk you through getting a logfile started. FRemember to close the logfile at the end of the session too.
J6A likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-23-2020, 06:56 AM,
thanks for your answers  Wink
04-18-2020, 01:24 AM,
Also newcomer - trying to download the Vassal Engine - keep getting " java download failed " - what am I doing wrong?
04-18-2020, 01:38 AM,
Firstly, what operating system are you using? Vassal works best on Windows and Linux. It will work on Macs, but not on the iPad or iPhone. It does not work at all on Android OS.
Next, have go a newer version of Java? While the Vassal sight says JRE 5.0 or later, I have found that Java 7 works better. You can get the latest Java here.
Last look at the Vassal download page. It has system specific information, which may be useful. It also bypasses the OS detect script so you can choose the version for your OS.

Good luck. Welcome aboard.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-18-2020, 02:29 AM,
(04-18-2020, 01:38 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Firstly, what operating system are you using? Vassal works best on Windows and Linux. It will work on Macs, but not on the iPad or iPhone. It does not work at all on Android OS.
Next, have go a newer version of Java? While the Vassal sight says JRE 5.0 or later, I have found that Java 7 works better. You can get the latest Java here.
Last look at the Vassal download page. It has system specific information, which may be useful. It also bypasses the OS detect script so you can choose the version for your OS.

Good luck. Welcome aboard.

ok. thanks. i got it downloaded now i am having trouble loading a game - can you help
04-18-2020, 03:35 AM,
(04-18-2020, 01:24 AM)Hawkeye Wrote: Also newcomer - trying to download the Vassal Engine - keep getting " java download failed " - what am I doing wrong?

I had the same msg. I downloaded java separately from the home site. Ran the java installer. Rebooted. Ran the vassal installer.

Hope that helps.