Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confusion
02-18-2020, 04:10 PM,
Confusion
The current system of getting access to the VASSAL modules is a nuisance. I just want to play with a friend. I have no interest in playing solitaire nor submitting log files for approval. However, after years of the games sitting unused on my shelf, forsaking PG purchases, and putting my boxes up for sale, because of lack of VASSAL support I am trying to get the VASSAL content. Bravo to the hard working gents who made the modules. I might have an opportunity to enjoy this game but the hoop jumping is oh so annoying and I might not be willing to play solitaire on VASSAL with 35 years of games on my shelf to play alternatively. Anyhow, how am I to log files if I can't d/l the modules??? Huh
02-18-2020, 10:01 PM,
RE: Confusion
All the core files and the legacy modules are downloadable.
There are 2 solitaire paths:
  1. Self-study, where you play the 6 mentor mini scenarios on your own.
  2. Self-play where you play 2 scenarios from the legacy modules.
There are many features in Uber which are not in the legacy modules. Also, the 6 mini-scenarios count on your profile, when you enter them as plays, which are enough to get you out of the recruitment barracks.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-19-2020, 01:22 AM,
(02-18-2020, 04:10 PM)Duncan Wrote: The current system of getting access to the VASSAL modules is a nuisance. I just want to play with a friend. I have no interest in playing solitaire nor submitting log files for approval. However, after years of the games sitting unused on my shelf, forsaking PG purchases, and putting my boxes up for sale, because of lack of VASSAL support I am trying to get the VASSAL content. Bravo to the hard working gents who made the modules. I might have an opportunity to enjoy this game but the hoop jumping is oh so annoying and I might not be willing to play solitaire on VASSAL with 35 years of games on my shelf to play alternatively. Anyhow, how am I to log files if I can't d/l the modules??? Huh

Hello Duncan,

You've got a couple of options going forwards:
  • you can immediately download and play the following standalone legacy modules today: Elsenborn Ridge, Airborne, Kokoda Campaign, and Conquest of Ethiopia!
  • you can play the six mini learning scenarios designed by Mike Perryman and Peter Lloyd that teach you the ins and outs of the rather complicated PG Uber module so that you aren't left scratching your head in frustration later on
  • you can create your own Vassal module! It's free! Have a look at http://www.vassalengine.org/ and check out their Docs section. Then you needn't jump through any hoops at all Smile
And, of course, you're free to do none of the above and leave the games on your shelf. No one is forcing you to play. Winking
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-24-2020, 03:50 AM,
Thanks. I've found the Uber Module. I will likely look at the mini learning scenarios in a month or two.
cjsiam likes this post
02-24-2020, 03:54 AM,
You'll get a cool ribbon for playing them.
cjsiam likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-24-2020, 05:27 AM,
Big Grin I'm actually hoping to play them through AHIKS. I play ASL and Panzer but they can be tricky by correspondence.